Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys like to mirror your cuts in the corners or use the return and wrap the joints around?

Somtimes it depends on the tile size and layout for me.

I ask because a guy brought me in to finish a job someone else started. The bottom 3' were straight 12x12 and the top was all diagonal. In one of his corners, his corner joints were good on the bottom but then jumped at the top. his work was nice an plumb. i had this happen to me on the other side at the very top but i cheated and trimmed the tile to make it work ( shhh dont tell anyone). The other 3 corners i did all lined up nicely. i've done walls with diag 6x6's and havent had a problem before.

do you guys have any tips for diagonal walls? I have a large shower coming up with diagonal Calcutta

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wrap mine as a continuous joint. I can't stand when diagonal walls jump joints. The piece you cut off is the other side if you lay it out right.
exactly but sometimes if you end up with a crappy cut at the end of that wall you can mirror the cuts. not my preference but it works and joints will still line up

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like to use the cut off piece on the next wall. If your tiles are 3/8 thick, cut some 3/8 x 3/8 strips from a scrap tile and thinset them in the corners. That way you can lean the tiles against the strip on both walls. You will have to add a wedge to make a grout joint.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I like to lay out wraps. Even if it means trimming the bullnose.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I wrap mine as a continuous joint. I can't stand when diagonal walls jump joints. The piece you cut off is the other side if you lay it out right.
I prefer to wrap the cuts, but sometimes a mirrored corner works better, for example if it makes the next wall symmetrical. Never jumps, though.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I like to lay out wraps. Even if it means trimming the bullnose.
The field tile looks awesome! I do have to say that I don't like the way the vertical bullnose turned out or the funky way the field tile notches into the bullnose at the tub deck. Was that all just to allow for symmetry on either side?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I have to agree w Rob on the vertical bullnose. (Never thougjt I'd say I agree w Rob. That must be a first.)
I'm sure there was a good reason to rip the bullnose.

When I do a corner like that, I fill the hollow spot w thinset.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The bullnose was just to match the field tile. If I did it again I would have ripped the top bull nose to match the vertical. and made a false joint on the tub deck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
heh, I like 'em mirrored better. Seems that would make more scrape though and the wrap look does look cool.

I just like more definition in the corners.
Not sure if I can picture what it would look like to have a mirrored corner with a jumping grout joint ... I don't understand how that is possible.

If the cuts are mirrored the joints ought to be consistent.

With notching bull nose I don't think it looks bad at all to rip a little off going up the tub and notching around the top if it helps your layout (moving it closer to the inside corner). Its preferable to not rip any of them though.

Tile in the video looks great. Don't want to criticize. But I wouldn't have notched the bull nose around the field. Just not my style.

You pulled the corners off really good though! Almost won me over from mirroring the cuts. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts