Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. To remain cost effective, we decided to frame windows in an interior wall to allow more light into both the living and den. The last opening has a diagonal brace (it is a load bearing wall) - see attached images. Is it safe to cut this out, or does it have to remain in place? Thank you in advance! :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
You could pull off the drywall on one side, shear nail cdx plywood over the whole window wall. I’m no engineer, but I think that would make up for an angle brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Designer/Contractor
3,870 Posts
You could pull off the drywall on one side, shear nail cdx plywood over the whole window wall. I’m no engineer, but I think that would make up for an angle brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would help but with the number of windows and the short distance between them the aspect ratio is screwed up. The aspect ratio is normally 2:1, 2 units vertical to 1 horizontal as in a 4x8 sheet of ply, when it gets narrower it gets a lot weaker.

Maybe there's part of the wall that has more wall area, maybe go with strapping on top and bottom of the windows........

·
always building
1,814 Posts
That would help but with the number of windows and the short distance between them the aspect ratio is screwed up. The aspect ratio is normally 2:1, 2 units vertical to 1 horizontal as in a 4x8 sheet of ply, when it gets narrower it gets a lot weaker.

Maybe there's part of the wall that has more wall area, maybe go with strapping on top and bottom of the windows........
if it were my place... pull the rock, add a stud between each window and now you have layout for full sheets with window cut outs!!! ..throw up some 3/8" struc 1 and start drywalling

·
Pro
4,097 Posts
Diagonal let ins can usually be moved around. Those windows do not appear to be interfering with the structural wall integrity because they are between stud layout.

Likely need to pull the drywall on the opposite end of the wall and use steel strapping on the face of the studs...if your windows are not on that end as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Technically you should have a solid 4 ft panel on the end the wall in lieu of the diagonal. Full sheathing has trade offs too with percentages of opening in the wall as well as tie downs.
Without seeing more of the house at least pull one side solid block at the mid section and run full sheathing vertical between windows with good nailing on the plates

1 - 14 of 14 Posts