Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
m1911 said:
I've already got both, just don't know if this smaller table saw is worth getting...
The little DW is a perfect saw to accompany a track saw. The way I figure it, if you have a track saw, you likely will use that for any rips in sheet goods over 5-6". You only need the table saw for thin rips and 2x framing lumber.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I hate to derail my own post lol, but I haven't ripped a sheet of anything since the day I bought my track saw. Just use the small table saw for narrow rips like wood flooring
I really didn't need another table saw either, but couldn't pass this up. I bought one at the Lancaster, TX store and one at the Terrell, TX store. What do you guys use for a stand with these portable (not job site) saws? My back won't hold up to just setting it on the ground.

Even before I got my Makita track saw, I never used my table saw to rip sheet goods. I attach side rails to a couple of sawhorses and create a platform. I just use a straightedge (usually a piece of 1x6 Hardie) and some 11SP Vise-grip clamps. It was no problem to rip 3 sheets of 7/16" OSB at the same time. Not many would try that on a table saw. With the track saw, I limit my rips to 2 sheets but don't normally get it out for OSB rips. Really, it's OSB. How precise do the cuts need to be?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
txgencon said:
I really didn't need another table saw either, but couldn't pass this up. I bought one at the Lancaster, TX store and one at the Terrell, TX store. What do you guys use for a stand with these portable (not job site) saws? My back won't hold up to just setting it on the ground. Even before I got my Makita track saw, I never used my table saw to rip sheet goods. I attach side rails to a couple of sawhorses and create a platform. I just use a straightedge (usually a piece of 1x6 Hardie) and some 11SP Vise-grip clamps. It was no problem to rip 3 sheets of 7/16" OSB at the same time. Not many would try that on a table saw. With the track saw, I limit my rips to 2 sheets but don't normally get it out for OSB rips. Really, it's OSB. How precise do the cuts need to be?
I either throw it on my osb table on sawhorse or I use a rosseau stand for it.

Rousseau 2745 PortaMax Table Saw Stand for DeWalt 745 Table Saw http://amzn.com/B000TYT86O

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
txgencon said:
I really didn't need another table saw either, but couldn't pass this up. I bought one at the Lancaster, TX store and one at the Terrell, TX store. What do you guys use for a stand with these portable (not job site) saws? My back won't hold up to just setting it on the ground. Even before I got my Makita track saw, I never used my table saw to rip sheet goods. I attach side rails to a couple of sawhorses and create a platform. I just use a straightedge (usually a piece of 1x6 Hardie) and some 11SP Vise-grip clamps. It was no problem to rip 3 sheets of 7/16" OSB at the same time. Not many would try that on a table saw. With the track saw, I limit my rips to 2 sheets but don't normally get it out for OSB rips. Really, it's OSB. How precise do the cuts need to be?
I bought the dewalt stand for it. It sits under the roof of my cap on the truck. Always there and out of the way.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Don't need, but bought two?? :clap::clap:
One as a backup for me. I told a buddy about the deal but none of the other stores in our area had one. On the way to my place north of Canton, I stopped at the Terrell HD and they had one NIB. Gave him a call to make sure he still wanted it and he did.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just wanted to thank Artisan and everyone else who posted to keep this thread in the recent posts section to remind me.

Picked up the last one for $229 at my local HD. Was walking in and thought of this thread and decided I'd buy it if they had one for $229. I didn't want to call myself a liar...

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Going to check tomorrow at my local store. I already have one but what's the harm in having a backup. Especially for that price. If not I'm heading to hermatige this week. Ill get one there if you Northerners don't get to them first.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
They had one here yesterday morning and I almost bought it. I also had a $15 off $150 coupon. I currently have two table saws and a track. Two of my employees also have table saws.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Spencer said:
How does the small dewalt table saw compare to the larger model on power?
I believe the motors are very similar in terns of power; however, they crippled it hardware wise. The arbor shaft is not long enough to accommodate a dado set safely. The most I would comfortably put in there would be 1/4 inch or maybe 3/8. Also, I believe the blade will only raise up to 3–1/8 inch. You won't be able to rip a 2 x 4 easily.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It will rip a 2x4 into two 2x2s just fine. It won't rip a 2x4 into two 1x4s unless you run it through twice, but that's pretty standard among small table saws.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts