Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in need of replacing a 10" miter saw and am looking at both of these models the DW713 vs DWS713. I am assuming the latter is more recent simply because of the addition of the 'S' in the model name and the former may not be in production since the price is on average slightly higher.

I fail to find any major differences except the mechanism by which the pivoting table locks. I have used the DW713 style, the push down lock vs the twist handle of the DWS713 and it works for me, but it also seemed annoying at times for some reason I can't describe.

So maybe there are some who have a preference -- just mainly curious to know what saw people would choose given only one material difference that I can discern.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I love my Makita front rail. Picture reflects the 12". I've got the 10.
Wish I could say the same. My Makita is sitting in a pile of pieces in the garage. It never cut straight on full extension and then one day the bevel lock seized up. I brought it in for repair and they said the castings were cracked and beyond repair. Not warranty either since it was physical damage. Didn't matter that it was like that when I got it. Still pissed off about that one.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,761 Posts
Where I buy my tools they would've exchanged it without question.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
757 Posts
Where I buy my tools they would've exchanged it without question.
That's what I thought too. I expect that kind of reaction from the Dewalt repair center, but not Makita.
This was a real wake up call with me for Makita.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,761 Posts
I'm not talking about Makita in talking about my yard.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
757 Posts
And I was talking about my Makita dealer who is also the repair center and my Makita rep who said he'd replace the saw then wouldn't...and before this happened I was pretty confident they'd have my back on something like this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DeWalts miter saws have been the stalwart go-to brand for a while now, but they are being eclipsed by the better designs of the forward rails, angled direct drive motor designs of Festool, Makita, and Bosch. I have a DWS780 to handle the occasional big crown molding, I bought the LS1219L recently and it's hands down a better saw. Much better dust extraction than DeWalt, and no kick to the blade from those damn drive belts. I might have tried the Bosch GSM saw but those just weigh to much. The compact form of the Makita and it's capacity and better dust handling really made it my top choice. Should also mention that the Makita was much more expensive than the DeWalt too, if that is a factor in your decision making.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts