Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don’t think it should be a impulse purchase. I have one of the first ones when they were introduced and felt like has been a good tool. Have considered selling it and going with metabo or Milwaukee if not for the battery platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,019 Posts
I have three, and am happy with them. Unless you are getting it at clearance price, I would think about it some more. I was able to fire mine at the store a few times prior, and had researched it quite a bit.

·
Registered
General Contractor - Residential
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This would definitely be a semi-impulse buy. I do have a job tomorrow that would be convenient to not bring the compressor and hoses and so it caught my eye.
I’m on the fence boys.

·
Super Moderator
11,019 Posts
This would definitely be a semi-impulse buy. I do have a job tomorrow that would be convenient to not bring the compressor and hoses and so it caught my eye.
I’m on the fence boys.
But the cordless compressor instead. We probably use ours more than we use a corded compressor anymore.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We carry around a 20 ft hose with ours. It can do very light framing, but will not keep up with any framing larger than punch out. We framed a basement once and blew up the first one.
decided to hold off and think about the battery compressor versus battery framer debate. Will think hard about which one will benefit me most. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
We went to battery nailers, years ago. So much easier than dealing with hoses. First 2 were DeWalt. We have used them so much, they don't sink nails anymore. Maybe a new pin is needed, not sure. I can't really estimate how many nails. A few room additions and one house. Using only the DeWalt.
We switched to the Milwaukee, last year. One house down and one 2000 sq ft room addition, so far.

The Milwaukee is a better nailer. Sinks nails every time. They copied the Hitachi nailer, but that's ok. It's still very good.
The down side is the weight. At least 10 lbs. Not sure about the DeWalt, but I would estimate 8 lbs. Hitachi says 11 1/2 lbs.

If I had to pick, I would go with the Milwaukee. It's just better technology than the DeWalt. AND, we have all Dewalt tools, except for those 2 Milwaukee nailers.
It is heavy. For a while, I kept the DeWalt in my truck and used it when my arm got tired. The young guys didn't get tired.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct on your weight guess. Tag for dewalt said 8 lbs. maybe more when you add the battery? Picked up the display with a 4AH battery in it. Felt heavy but compared to 11lbs it would be much better.
I have the Ridgid and Dewalt battery platforms. Regret buying Ridgid several years ago but I will keep using them until they quit. Have been acquiring some Dewalt along the way. Started with Dewalt when I got in the game in 2010. They are war daddies.

Heard good things about the Milwaukee but will probably go Dewalt just because that’s the platform I’m starting to acquire now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Some of the boys strayed to Milwaukees but have all come back around to paslode, king of cordless nailers. We've had a couple dewalts and they couldn't hold up to relatively light use, mostly setting trusses not sheathing. We set and sheet with paslodes on steeper roofs. Just need some maintenance/cleaning but you can get away with 6-10k nails between cleanings.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope you'll let us know how the weight affects you using it. I looked at the MW a year ago -- too heavy. Us older guys are looking to shed tool weight.
If and when I buy the Dewalt I’ll report back. I backed off of the impulse buy today. I will shop around for a deal.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some of the boys strayed to Milwaukees but have all come back around to paslode, king of cordless nailers. We've had a couple dewalts and they couldn't hold up to relatively light use, mostly setting trusses not sheathing. We set and sheet with paslodes on steeper roofs. Just need some maintenance/cleaning but you can get away with 6-10k nails between cleanings.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Picked up the Paslode display model and it was the lightest weight at around 7lbs and I could feel the difference. It felt the best in my hand too I’ll admit. Buying gas cartridges just makes me lean away from Paslode.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts