Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i am using old miter saw - 10". Lately noticing that this saw is not safe, kicking back cut parts .

Main purpose : Cutting Crown Molding , up to 9" breadth ( face )

Do you recommend this Miter saw? Cutting crown molding with Sliding will give precise cut?

Moldings are $3 / ft, i cant afford to waste it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just purchased this saw about a month ago. I have always used Hitachi mite saws and currently have every flavor. I must say that using the dewalt after 20 years of Hitachis was a bit of a challenge at first. They are night and day. However, every day I use the dewalt, i like it more. It is by far my favorite meter saw now. Once you get past the adjustment period you realize that the dewalt is much more user friendly. Because of this it also seems as though it is much smaller than it is. It is much lighter, more smooth, deliberate, and better balanced that the Hitachi. The only thing I don't like is the weird light and shadow system vs the laser on the Hitachi, which I never used anyway. Also you get the larger dewalt meter stand for free with the purchase of the saw which is normality. 199.00. Sorry for such a long response, but hopefully it helps someone who is on the edge. It was very hard for me to make the decision to switch brands after so many years but I am very glad did.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you post the model number of Hitachi, It will be helpful for someone...

I hope I will like the Dewalt interms of "ease of use", It lookedlike monster infront of other saws on table ( @ lowes & home depot )

Just purchased Tenryu MP-305100AB 12" Carbide Tipped Saw Blade ( 100 Tooth ATAFR Grind - 1" Arbor - 0.118 Kerf)

http://www.tenryu.com/mp.html

Forrest blades are expensive......

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
The only thing I don't like is the weird light and shadow system vs the laser on the Hitachi, which I never used anyway. .
That shadow is where the blade is going to cut, it's very accurate and easy to use once you trust it.

And there is no adjusting needed when you change blades.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 3 dewalt 12" scms's, two with the light system, its awesome, easy saw to use and easy to tune/adjust, just friggin big and heavy but it keeps u in shape

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
That saw and stand deal is over for my area, next one will be during/after black Friday sales.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
I've had this saw for four years and use a custom stand set up with it. great saw and very user friendly, I've been lucky not to bang this thing up to bad but it is heavy and I work all over the place lugging this thing to and fro. before lifting out of the truck I have a mental body prep adjustment procedure so nothing gets pulled/knocked out of wack on the saw or on my person. I see a 8 or 10" slider in my near future and save this work horse for special occasions though it is my one and only right now...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts