Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most recent thread mentioning the GPS tracker was March 2013, and the OP was asking about scheduling apps for Android, too, so I decided to start a new thread.

On a snow-and-ice-control forum I use, we've been discussing various ways of securing snowplows, and tracking one if it gets stolen. One of the guys mentioned the DeWalt, and Google led me to a 2012 thread here.

It looks like Sprint coverage is pretty bad in my area (Midcoast Maine/US Rt. 1 corridor). I know the GSM cellular carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) have varying coverage in my area, so a tracker using a SIM card probably wouldn't work too well.

If you use it to track crew locations, etc., has anyone noticed signal problems with their DS500?

·
Vendor
167 Posts
Doug, good to chat/email with you today. I've forwarded your concerns to DeWalt to get their thoughts. We also have a booster antenna available if needed, but I want to wait and see what they say.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Dewalt now have nothing to do with the Mobilelock system hilton development own the system but its still branded dewalt. I have always had coverage and my unit is inside my trailer which is pretty bad for single inside. Sometimes the gps tracking is out a few thousand feet but not very often.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Lyle. You've been most helpful in my search for more info. It looks like a good solution for more than one situation.

BCConstruction, thanks for your input. I know you were one of the earlier users of the device, so if it's worked well for you for a couple of years or so, that's a good sign.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BCConstruction

How do you power your Dewalt Mobile Lock?
I'm thinking of building a Cargo Installation trailer, and I had a thought of maybe putting a solar panel on the walk on Roof and feeding the power to a battery bank, were I would have a car Alarm, GPS, LED Lighting, Wifi and NVR with Cameras....

Is that going overkill?

lol

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
BCConstruction

How do you power your Dewalt Mobile Lock?
I'm thinking of building a Cargo Installation trailer, and I had a thought of maybe putting a solar panel on the walk on Roof and feeding the power to a battery bank, were I would have a car Alarm, GPS, LED Lighting, Wifi and NVR with Cameras....

Is that going overkill?

lol

I charge it about once a month. It tells me when battery's low by text so I just plug it in.

Yeah I would says your going over kill. Put a sticker on each door and panel saying its alarmed with a GPS alarm and tracking system and nobody gonna mess with the trailer and if they do their in for a surprise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts