Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally broke down and bought the 18volt cordless trim nailer from Dewalt.

The thing is like a dream. It's so pretty that I actually wiped it off after I got done using it. I'm going to sleep with it under my pillow and hope the Dewalt fairy brings me a cordless brad nailer by morning.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad you had good luck with it.

We had different results... :(

Probably just a lemon though. Although I'm happy with the Paslode Impulse.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Mike, you need to stay away from sleeping with that nail gun, if you do however, be sure to take with ya in the morning, nothing worse than the wife getting nailed while your at work.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
We couldn't for the life of us get it to set nails. Tried new drivers, new batteries, made all the adjustments possible. I dunno.

Other than that it fired very well, just wouldn't set the nail.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
So Mike,
How is the nailer working out now that you have had it awhile? Did you get the straight or angle version? 18 or 14 volt. I'm ready to buy and looking for versatility

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paul,

It works awesome for what I use it for. It is for some reason even more accurate in setting then my air fed Porter Cables. I bought the straight version just to widen the available manufacturers of nails instead of having to buy Dewalts nails. Everything I have is 18 volts so I went with the 18 volt version. Works extremely well in hard or soft woods, perfect for small jobs when setting up the compressor would take longer than the nailing you need to do!

They sell them around here as a bare tool with just the nailer or as a kit with the nailer and 2 batteries and a charger the difference in price was close to getting a battery for free so I got the kit. Now with 4 batteries I am able to just purchase bare tools for other Dewalt cordless tools which are sometimes ridiculously cheap. I think I got their bare snake light for like $17.00, and I will buy the 18 volt impact driver as a bare tool for about $139.00 next.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Mike,
I took the plunge also. Used the tool last week on some doors and other trim it was a pleasure. I also got the 18 volt. But went with the angled version. It takes Pasload nails as well as Dewalt so getting them should be a problem.
Thanks for the info. And enjoy the tool. I know I will.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those of you who bought the DeWalt cordless gun, tell me--do you prefer it over a Paslode cordless, and if so, why? I have also thought about getting a DeWalt but the thing is so heavy compared to the Paslodes.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
David,
The reasons I went with the Dewalt over the Pasload. I have not used the Pasload so I can't compare but I do alot of reading on tools before I buy them. The Dewalt was rated higher all around. I don't have to have gas, well I generally do but thats another issue :) And for the amount I will use the gun the weight is not an issue. As I read it is well balanced and not bad to work with for the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dewalt vs. paslode

Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a Paslode and dewalt cordless finish nailer online. In the future I will have to pick the Paslode. It gets more shots out of a battery charge due to the fuel cells, well balanced, and most important has been around long enough to prove itself. Not to mention you can pick up the Paslode for $100 cheaper.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, weight isn't an issue so far, but I don't use it 10 hours a day. I don't think it would be the right tool for that type of use. For that I would go to air driven. Paslodes people say have an issue of having to keep clean, and then their is the air and gas issues, plus I was told that Paslodes sitting not being used regurally develop issues where the Dewalt doesn't. Not ruling out a Paslode, hell in a few months I will probably have one of those too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts