Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DW708 slide saw. It has been sounding rough so I took it apart and found the drive pully was loose. I thought I would replace the pully (6 bucks) but when I removed it the keyways in the armature are so worn the armature needs to be replaced. (80 bucks for new armature)

Question is how do I remove the bearings from the old armature?

I would be glad to buy new bearings (only 7 bucks) but do they have to be pressed on?

Maybe this repair should be left to a pro :sad:

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Dave

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I had the local machine shop press the new bearing on mine. $3.50. I threw him a 5 for his trouble.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,219 Posts
Question is how do I remove the bearings from the old armature?
Ideally, a wheel puller. But depending on the layout, you can lay a couple of steel bars across a vice to support the bearing while you whack the shaft out with a brass rod (to keep from dinging it up).

Then just reverse the procedure to install the new bearings.

But if that's not in your comfort zone, you'd probably be better off taking it to a shop. Shouldn't cost that much if you just hand them the armature and bearings.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will just order it with two new bearings. Take a look at this thing. I would think the bearings took a beating as well.
Auto part Clutch part Rotor Wheel Machine
Rotor Tool accessory

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,219 Posts
Makes sense to use new bearings as long as you're in there. And removing that one in the pic without a wheel puller would not only be an exercise in frustration, you'd run the chance of damaging it and needing a new one anyway.

I'd say you were due!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts