Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found out that Dewalt makes 5 different types of the 716. Anyone know the differences. Nothing on the Dewalt site to show the differences. BUYER BEWARE. On the boxes on the shelves its packed in it just shows DW716.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Quite common...same model number, different item number. I think (and could be completely off my rocker) they use different item numbers so they can get past some of the price matching. I've also heard (here and from my local tool shop) that box stores get a lower quality version than pro-tool shops...I've never tore any of them apart side by side to confirm, my tool guy may be feeding me a line, but I like the small biz he's running anyway...I'll stick with him!

·
Registered
943 Posts
mstrat said:
Quite common...same model number, different item number. I think (and could be completely off my rocker) they use different item numbers so they can get past some of the price matching. I've also heard (here and from my local tool shop) that box stores get a lower quality version than pro-tool shops...I've never tore any of them apart side by side to confirm, my tool guy may be feeding me a line, but I like the small biz he's running anyway...I'll stick with him!
Big box stores do that all the time

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts

This subject has been covered here many, many, many times before. There has been NO, I repeat, NO PROOF that manufactures do this. Consensus is if the model number is the same, then the tool is the same tool.

If you believe this not to be true it has been agreed that the doubter is responsible for the proof.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In further investigation the type 20 -716 has no removable handle assembly to put a LED light or laser attachment on. Yet the box's are stamped DW716 on the outside with no determinable 2nd abbreviation after the 716. Its only when you open up the box do you realize on the motor housing its a type 20 and notice No removable handle part. Very deceiving Dewalt has made this.

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me this spring when I got my dewalt 713. Display at Home Depot had a nice blurb about the laser or LED, but the saw didn't have the removable cutout, or the mount on the blade guard. I was a bit peeved to say the least.

I am glad I had them meet and beat Lowes price on it though, which was $1 less, and they had a promo going on at the same time. Got a brand new DW713 for $130. That price is the only thing that kept me from returning it. Figure it will tide me over till I pick up a Kapex.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my same story. The display model has the cutout and the LED laser blurb. Yet the saw I got in the box had no cutout. I did not realize till I went to attach the LED light a couple of weeks later.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
gowings said:
I have found out that Dewalt makes 5 different types of the 716. Anyone know the differences. Nothing on the Dewalt site to show the differences. BUYER BEWARE. On the boxes on the shelves its packed in it just shows DW716.
Where did you find this out?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Type 20 after comparing my saw to others. My handle has no removable sleeve for the LED light. Yet its a DW716. The one on display at HD is also a Dw716 has the removable slot and is a Type 2 it said on the motor mount, Yet I got all the boxes open at HD(3 of them) all marked DW716 on the outside and all are Type 20. On the Dewalt site it asks you which one you have.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I have to ask, did you return the one you purchased and drive all over town opening all of the DW716 boxes until you found one that was a type 2 so you could attach an LED and laser?

·
Registered
349 Posts
That happened to me today. ZipWall is $139 everywhere I have seen it and they rang up for $169. Went online on my phone to show them that the ZP4 is indeed $139. It said online exclusive so they were confused why they had it in stock but honored the price. I got home and looked on the computer and sure enough, same exact thing but with a different part number and sku and price. Should be illegal!

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,562 Posts

This subject has been covered here many, many, many times before. There has been NO, I repeat, NO PROOF that manufactures do this. Consensus is if the model number is the same, then the tool is the same tool.

If you believe this not to be true it has been agreed that the doubter is responsible for the proof.
Man you're just wrong here!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I have to ask, did you return the one you purchased and drive all over town opening all of the DW716 boxes until you found one that was a type 2 so you could attach an LED and laser?
I have not decided what to do I emailed Dewalt. I will wait for there response first. Definitely has left a bad taste in my mouth for Dewalt.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Man you're just wrong here!
Not to my recollection. There have been many threads here on CT saying the numbers are the same but the tools are different. Surprisingly we have not seen one in a while.

It sounds like he is really investigating this and I think that is a good thing. No one has really had any proof. Just "my tool feels cheaper from the big box". If I get time I'll look up some old threads.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Not to my recollection. There have been many threads here on CT saying the numbers are the same but the tools are different. Surprisingly we have not seen one in a while.

It sounds like he is really investigating this and I think that is a good thing. No one has really had any proof. Just "my tool feels cheaper from the big box". If I get time I'll look up some old threads.
Dewalt are gonna tell him there's different types of 716 saws. They do this with all their saws. Take a look at dewalts accessories. they clearly say fits type 1-2-3-4 etc etc of that model number of saw. They even have stamped on the saw what type it his so they are not hiding the fact its different. Its a different model of saw because it has different model number so your still correct.

I very much doubt its not on the outside of the box either as it would mean anyone who is selling them wouldn't know what model they are sending to a customer. That's stupid on dewalts part if not because they also have no idea what they are sending out if there's nothing on the boxes.

I doubt we will ever see a case where a big box store is selling a model full of junk plastic parts with same model number so this myth still currently stands.

My tile saw even has 2 different types. Not sure exactly what is different about the models but i have seen them advertised as type 1 and type 2.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is unfortunately common throughout all manufacturing, not just tools. Pioneer electronics does the same thing. They'll sell a model of stereo to an independent dealer, then sell the same model to Wally World, the only difference is the one at Wally World will be missing the last letter/number that the one at the independent dealer has. It's also missing a lot of features that only an independent dealer could identify. The identifier that nobody has mentioned, and what the manufacturers use to make sure they don't send a full feature saw to a bargain basement buyer is the UPC code. You can look at the UPC of a DW716 at Blowes/Home Despot and then look at the same model at a small local hardware store, and I guarantee they will all 3 be different.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
i dont think its a case of one being a cheaper model for a cheaper store. i think its more of a case that dewalt change the design through the year and change things in the design of the tool. instead of giving it a complete different model number they say type 1/2/3/4.

The only difference i can tell the type 1 from the type 2 on my tile saw is mine has a different locking ring for the blade. other than that i cant see a difference on the parts list.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From Dewalt
The DW716 Mitre Saw that you bought recently is a new model that no longer accepts the laser attachment. This change happened over the last eight months or so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.