Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most are not a fan of Dewalt tools, but I am so that being said Should I make the switch from 18v to 20v. Are they a lot better. I have a huge 18v collection, and although all are still working a lot are ready for replacement.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Fan or Not I don't really care what others think.
Nothing wrong with dewalt. I just upgraded to 2 full line20v sets. Much better across the board from the18v bricks. Very light more compact drills better power and longer running batteries. My crew loves them. I personally use hilti cordless there are just superior for many reasons. You'll be happy.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Fan or Not I don't really care what others think.
Nothing wrong with dewalt. I just upgraded to 2 full line20v sets. Much better across the board from the18v bricks. Very light more compact drills better power and longer running batteries. My crew loves them. I personally use hilti cordless there are just superior for many reasons. You'll be happy.
I think the 20V line is great, I replaced my Hilti set with them and I'm quite content. My only complaint is the chuck on the drill isn't the greatest. I have the brushless xrp kit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, you should definitely upgrade. The new lithium batteries make the old NiCad batteries seem like junk. They have incredible run time.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
They are a huge upgrade.

And this isn't anything useful to contribute, just an interesting fact: The 18V nano batteries are actually 19.8 nominal volts (6 3.3V cells), while the 20V max batteries are 18V nominal (5 3.6V cells).

Nominal means the average from fully charged to fully discharged.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I love my 20v tools. Great runtime and real comfortable in my hand.

Was just telling a story on here somewhere- dropped one of my hammer drills in a bucket of water. Dried it out for the night- next day could not tell which drill was which(aside from one being noticeably cleaner lol)

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
DeWalt is always a contender for me. I still have an 18v hammer drill that will not give up. The newer 20v are pretty much the same tools as the 18v but converted to the 20v platform. As mentioned they have better run time and are lighter.

I didn't continue with the DeWalt line because I felt other brands worked better for me. Otherwise I would still be running DeWalt.

·
Registered
Carpenter
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out the 20v line yesterday at the local lumber yard. They had a "compact" set (drill, impact) on sale for $199.

Are the compact set batteries junk? I see they're have the size of the normal 3.0 at a measley 1.5. Does that mean they stay charged half the time of normal ones?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Amp hours is the battery fuel tank so you get less run time but lighter wight they use 1/2 the number of battery sells 4 instead of 8. I'm not sure what you mean at first though.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I checked out the 20v line yesterday at the local lumber yard. They had a "compact" set (drill, impact) on sale for $199.

Are the compact set batteries junk? I see they're have the size of the normal 3.0 at a measley 1.5. Does that mean they stay charged half the time of normal ones?
The compact drill isn't exactly a beast but the little 2ah batteries are VERY impressive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have had a good experience with Dewalt tools. We upgrade to several 5 piece 20 V kits recently and the guys love them. I got them all on EBay auctions with big savings.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I think the 20V line is great, I replaced my Hilti set with them and I'm quite content. My only complaint is the chuck on the drill isn't the greatest. I have the brushless xrp kit.

I hope I didn't come off like hilti snob. We did some work in the local hilti store. Small stuff hung a few lights 2-3hrs of work. I send them a bill for500-600 bucks and they offered tools as barter because we don't accept credit cards for payment and going through corporate would of taken 60days to process check. I took the tools package worth over a grand.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I hope I didn't come off like hilti snob. We did some work in the local hilti store. Small stuff hung a few lights 2-3hrs of work. I send them a bill for500-600 bucks and they offered tools as barter because we don't accept credit cards for payment and going through corporate would of taken 60days to process check. I took the tools package worth over a grand.
Lol not at all I have quite the hilti collection.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
There giving Away the20v line. Just picked up 2-4.0 amp batteries for 125.00. With free shipping. Most of the bare tools are just under 100bucks. Not far off from the nicad or 18v bricks.

·
Registered
322 Posts

I have five of the 3.0Ah batteries and four of the 2.0Ah batteries. The 2.0 batteries are half the size and weight but they still last for an extremely long time. Long enough that I'm selling off some of my 3.0 batteries. Not sure how long the 1.5 last comparatively but I would bet you'd be happy with them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts