Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm down to my last 2 - 18v xrp impact and batteries. We beat the living hell out of them.

This is for my crew.
I can get:
2 - 1/4 " impact $70each
2 - xrp 18v batts $47.50 each
1 - fast dblk batt charger $67.00
1 - cordless sirc saw $79.00

or should spend the additional $400 -/+ and get the 20v li-on which I heard mixed reviews on.
I'm not buying Makita or even considering any other product so bother opening that can.

My or my guys biggest complaint with 18v xrp's is that do not charge on a hot roof top and they do not have a power indicator to let you know how much juice is left. We we always at least 2 xtra on site which just adds to more schlepping.

Or the hell with it up grade the rest of City Decks Inc to Hilti like self.

Thank you all in advance.
Yannis
www.citydecksinc.com
www.citypropertiesinc.net

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I like my 20v dewalt stuff. Dont get your crew what you have!!!!! I upgraded my personal stuff to 20v cause my crews have 18v and i didnt want them swapping stuff out with my personal set

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
If you're invested in the 18v stuff, consider spending the $ for nano battery's. I think they are much better for employees, who won't stop using a ni-cad when it's getting low on charge. With the nano's, the tool stops when it needs to be charged. You can find them on ebay for bulk purchases.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
With the 4.0 batteries especially, the new 20V max are a fair amount better than 18V XRP. 72 watt hours of capacity is approaching double that of the older XRP batteries. And if it's anything like Milwaukee's brushless, that's a whole new level of performance and run time. I feel like I can put in 25 pounds of screws on a charge.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Get the new DW 20v Li BRUSHLESS.

I just got it and so far it is fantastic.

I went from the 18v NiCads to the 18v Li nano (the batteries fit the NiCad bodies, which was nice), and they were pretty darn good. The auto shut down annoyed me at first, but the backup battery never failed to keep pace.

The first gen 20v Li's IMO just sucked. The battery life was anemic at best. I gave mine to my girlfriend after a month.

I haven't even run the 20v Li brushless to dead yet. It keeps making it to the end of the day and getting recharged before it fails. I haven't put it through an extremely hard day yet, but I did do a quick deck extension for a friend and it was rock solid. Drove plenty of 3 1/2's and some 6" GRK structurals no problem, rock solid.

For the crew, the Nano's may be the most economical choice. You just need the batteries and the charger.

Or you could be the Best Boss Ever and go Brushless in SYS-2 Vari's for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DEWALT 20V WITH 3.0 BATTERIES.

TOTAL PACKAGE:
3-IMPACTS
2-SIRC SAWS
1-SAW ZAW
1-HAMMER / HS COMBO.
5 - 20V 3.0 BATTERIES

ALL IN AT $722.00
THEY ARE SMALL, LIGHT AND VERY NICE. I COULD OF UPGRADED TO THE 20V BRUSHLESS BECAUSE THERE IMPACT'S HAVE BATTERY GAUGE AND 3.SPEED BUT IT WAS ALMOST ANOTHER $200.
I WAS BUILDING SOME SHELVES OVER THE WEEKEND JUST LIGHT DUTY STUFF AND LOVED THE FACT YOU CAN THEM DROP THEM RIGHT IN OXI SADDLE. VERY COMPACT AND LIGHT. I SURPRISED MY LEAD CARPENTER THIS MORNING. THE ENTIRE PACKAGE FIT PERFECT IN TO DEWALT XL TOUGHBOX. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've got almost every 20v Dewalt tool they offer and love every one of them. The SDS rotary hammer gets the biggest workout. It's not unusual for me to drill a couple/few hundred 3/16" holes in masonry for a given job and the battery life is great. I never thought I'd say it, but I think I actually have too many batteries. I have five of the 3.0aH and two of the smaller 2.0aH XR batteries. I'll never go through that many in a day. Also, just upgraded to the brushless impact so that helps even more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts