Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw the 10" slider sitting next to the 12" slider-the 10" is only two pounds lighter (52lbs) but has only 2" less cutoff capacity. the slider bars are nearly 2" longer than the 12" slider mechanish.

has anyone used one? with 12" of horizontal cutoff capacity with the 10" slider, the larger saw has less draw. Can anyone comment on the 10" sliders dust mechanism?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I recently purchased the milwaukee 12" slider and have nothing but the best to say about it. It has been deadly accurate for trim work, railings and kitchen install's.. I find that the dust extraction works very well, better than all the saws I have used before( excluding the green monster )... MaYBE take a look in the Milwaukee way..

·
I like Green things
23,068 Posts
I think it was you maybe told me that awhile back, I'll have to find somewhere besides HD or Lowes. Cant remember what the blade recommendation was.

If you only want to buy one more blade, at least for a long time, look into Tenryu, Forrest WW2, or the Matsush!ta heavy duty work horse.

Now you will spend 125+ on one of those blades but, you will be able to sharpen it numerous times.

·
Banned
917 Posts
If you only want to buy one more blade, at least for a long time, look into Tenryu, Forrest WW2, or the Matsush!ta heavy duty work horse.

Now you will spend 125+ on one of those blades but, you will be able to sharpen it numerous times.
Thanks! I put them on favorites, now if I can remember that they are on favorites. I have an Oldham blade on it now, junk.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The DW718 is much less accurate, it is not only the 12" blade but flex in the slider and head, and the slide action is rougher than the DW708. Had one for a few days and never could get it adjusted to be accurate. The overall build was poor too. That was a type1, they may have improved it.
DW717 is a good saw and I use that as my general purpose saw. It was dead on out of the box. The LED light as an add on is very good in low light conditions, shadow is the exact blade kerf, and much better than those on my Milwaukee, $1, 12v automotive underhood lights. The bevel, dust collection and overall use of the saw is better than the DW717. They weigh about the same which should also be an indication of the too light of a build on the DW718. If you have the side by side you can see and feel the difference. Good , neg. or low hook angle 1/8" kerf blades are much cheaper and easier to find in 10" as well. I do not like TK 12" blades for accuracy reasons.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Depends what your going to use it for; seems nearly everytime I haul out my 10" I end up cursing under my breath that I don't have that little extra bit of cutting depth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 12 inch slider. I love it. I love the dual bevel for doing crown. I had a crappy Delta before getting this one and it's like night and day. The dust collector is alright. Nothing special, but it does a good job. I would have liked to have seen it come with the laser automatically. For what your spending it should!

Colin
www.coveinspirations.com

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have the 12" Slider and really love it. I've never had any problems with it not keeping its accuracy and as to blade deflection, I've used 10" (sliders and non-sliders) and never seen any deflection between the two that is noticable. I can't even imagine that anyone could measure the deflection without a laser or something. As to the Dewalt miter laser system, I've never heard any great things about it. But I have heard good things about the light system though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Laser on the dewalt was not good if you want it to be at the kerf it will shadow against the blade. The Makita works well, can easily slide to either side of the kerf too. On the DW's the LED is much better and a laser on a slider is not really needed like on a fixed CMS where you can nt move the blade into position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts