Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Devoe's mirrorlacspeed paint? It is an alkyd/oil paint, where they found a way to suspend it in water. So there is no turps or spirits in the can. I was wondering what people have thought about this paint. It seems with the VOC laws closing in on us, that this may be the way to go if folks still want a 'true' enamel finish. And I heard that it doesn't yellow either.
There aren't many Devoe dealerships where I live. And it seems to be a strange paint in general. It's not a 'cheapo' brand that you might find in a Home Depot, nor does it really have fans among professionals. I have always heard about how hard it was to spread their trim latex paints. Any Devoe fans out there? Is this stuff good paint? Or is it just Glidden paint with a fancier label?

-PlainPainter

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the Devoe paint is suppose to be anything like the Zinnser H2Oilbase. I have used the H20il, and my recollection is that it wouldn't clean at all with soap and water like they claimed, So I ended up using mineral spirits to clean - and then it cleaned right up, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying this over just regular CoverStain. But I didn't think it was a crap product in terms of how well it performed as a primer. Just false marketing, and it still is in a base of mineral spirits - unlike the Devoe paint which is truly a water based oil paint.

-PlainPainter

P.S. I do now recollect using H2Oilbase another time and using a hand cleaner
like Goof off, or something like what a mechanic would use to clean oil off his hands - and it seemed to do a decent job. But I think my thought at the time was, perhaps goof-off could clean any china bristle brush using any oil paint - and maybe it's something painters should consider instead of using paint thinner. But I haven't tried this yet, so the jury is still out. And in all fairness, I think the label specifically says to use dishwasher cleanser - which is stronger than normal hand soap. So when I am really really really bored, I will try it again with dishwashing soap, and try some other oil paint with goof off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts