Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I to think Detroit gets bad press.

All that's on TV is cheep broken down houses and cheep heroin. The pawn shop show doesn't help the people image at all.

J.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
I wouldn't live in Detroit if you gave me a million bucks and one of those houses for free. It's like trying to pick a turd up by the clean end. No matter what side you present, it's still a turd! :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Just moved my daughter to Detroit to attend Wayne State University,Thanks for the pics Steve..they make me feel alittle better about it.;)
I would live there if I was going to school to get my PHD. If I remember right that's what your daughter is getting, correct? :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
25,783 Posts
Never been there, those houses look cool. I have TGs sentiments on size of the property, but i also was not raised in an urban area.

So what is causing the turn around?

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Never been there, those houses look cool. I have TGs sentiments on size of the property, but i also was not raised in an urban area.

So what is causing the turn around?
Millennials.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
we live in a pretty rural section of N.J. [yes we have rural here..]culture shock for me for sure but she's excited and raring to go..;)
And lots of it..only at a ridiculously high price and some of the highest taxes. But, if you can afford it, NJ has some really beautiful areas.

·
Deck Parts Retailer
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
The unemployment was at 29% and the biggest reason for improved numbers is because people are moving.

http://economyincrisis.org/content/detroit-americas-war-torn-city
People are moving in, so are businesses, the best thing that happened to Detroit was not Obama, but the new mayor, Mike Duggan

But of course people who are 2,000 miles away will know more about the city than people who live there, go there, and work there

We installed a 24,k deck in downtown 2 years ago and another 12k 3 weeks ago w/ four more jobs down there ready to go

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Killer, don't listen to Mike. If it were up to him he'd be surrounded by rich people and 80 degree weather year round. Oh, wait, he's in the OC....:laughing:
Oakland is like Detroit in some ways so I feel a kinship.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Yeah you can still get a home for about 11,000 that's up from 8 thousand a couple years ago. :laughing:

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
Yeah you can still get a home for about 11,000 that's up from 8 thousand a couple years ago. :laughing:
When I was looking it over, I was looking in the under $20K range, and on speculation like this I'd be looking for something that would at least double in value (including everything else that had to be done to it) in 3 years. Everything on the bottom of the market was there for very good reason....

21 - 40 of 52 Posts