·
Super Moderator
25,783 Posts
No thanks. Sounds like the hood.

Reactions: onthelevel

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
There are more houses than people that need a house----so that price is about right---may even be a bit high.

I like to route through ghost towns----this sounds like a ghost town to me---nice to look at,but of little monetary value.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
come, we will welcome you to the neighbourhood

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had 3 crews doing Detroit rehabs 7 days a week for the last two years. I just recently reduced to 2 crews 5 days a week. The average purchase price for a house in the city has been $7,000.00 we typically drop another $12,000 into the rehab. Yes we can buy houses for a $1.00 but those are complete demos typically. My clients have waiting lists for the rental of these houses.
As far as safety goes everyone that can legally carry a gun on the crew does carry one. The other thing I have found to be helpful is to make friends with the neighbors. If they know you are there to better the neighborhood they will look out for you.
I have more theft and Job site vandalism happen in the suburbs then in the "ghetto". We work in some of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Anyone have an address or a street for one of the ghost town areas i wanna view it on google maps

·
Registered
301 Posts
The best example of a an area completely deserted is the old Packard plant in Detroit. It has been in the news a lot because it was just sold. It is several square miles and is surrounded by a true wasteland. It has bend used for many things including movies and murders.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Bill Pulte's grandson has put together an outfit - that with Lansing's help - may be able to reclaim whole blocks - with the necessary feeling of safety and quick access to downtown workplaces.

Detroit isn't going to close up shop - too much of our infrastructure, all the way to mid-Michigan, depends on Detroit's existing services, like sewer, water, power. In the immediate short term, what has happened, is its caused new builds not to happen up in my neck of the woods like in the old days, but straight out towards Ann Arbor.

Hell, yet today I can take you to burned out buildings still standing from the riots of 1967 - that is how bad the corruption was.

You can already see a huge acceleration in the city transferring ownership and forcing/allowing demo of blight to make it favorable for new builds and rehab.

The right people are on board with Bill and guys like Dan Gilbert and Scott Romney know how to make things happen - once the unmentionable obstacles are removed or behind bars.

But it ain't for the faint of heart. LOL!
http://www.freep.com/article/20130707/BUSINESS06/307070057/Bill-Pulte-IV-Detroit-Blight-Authority-Pulte-Capital-Partners

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
You think Detroit is bad, Flint MI. Is a real hell hole.
Detroit always was what it is after the riots.
Purchased a block(18 houses) this summer there around 6 and VanDyke, some beautiful masonry there

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a client call me up one day and say they stole my power line. This client owns a flower wholesale company. The power line was3-75ft pure 00 gauge copper wire. The kicker to this call was it was hot and carrying 800amps. They stole it while it was live. This was in Flint. Flint died when the auto industry left the city. Flint needs to be turned into a big farm field.

·
Registered
819 Posts
In the future most big cities will end up just like Detroit

the good people leave and whats left isn't good

its happening everywhere....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts