Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone I know asked me how he can find out if he can install a 130 gal fish tank in a bonus room over his garage? That would be about 1040 ponds based on 8 ponds per gal. Thanks for any help, smarta$$ or otherwise :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Margarittaville or JB for short,

My personal home has two built in Salt water aquariums built into the wall. First of all let me say I will not be able to tell you the load calculations here, but I will tell you what I have.

I took above the two car garage 25 x 25 and another room 11 x 13 and combined them to make my master suite. Between the master suite and master bath I had a see thru fireplace with saltwater aquariums on both sides. I did this so if you were in the bedroom or either the 6 ft jucuzzi tub the view of the fireplace and aquariums would be from either room.

Two tanks being 140 gallons and 160 gallons. Both have reef, but one is stricly preditors (lion fish, grouper, trigger, snowflake eel, purple tang). Cant put these guys in the other tank because it would be expensive sushi.

These tanks average 4 ft long by 3ft high by 2ft wide. The are built into the wall with a support stand built under them. Filter system is on the bottom and lights and timers are on the top. Cabinet fronts with europen hinges to make it look like custom built ins into the wall. Around the tanks I have 445 casing so as to make it look like a picture.

Now I will finally get to the support in the framing. As with the Jucuzzi tub and the tanks my engineer designed and centered double 1 3/4" x 9 1/4" M.L. under each. He split the spacing in thirds. I.E. ( double M.L. at 16" and 32" on a 4 ft tank).

My engineer always overdoes it on Microlams so I just tripled up on 2 x 10's instead with no problem what so ever.

It is truly awesome, as I love to dive and enjoy the ocean. I will try to find a picture to scan for you to see. This is the type of crazy custom bulding I do. mastersuite is over 725 sq. ft. with the bath, closet, bedroom, and a 8 x 8 octagon foyer with double tray domed ceiling.

Bond, James Bond. :cool:

Hope that helps.

Pond

P.S. Favorite song is from White Sport Coat & Pink Crustacean.

Peanutbutter Conspiracy

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I would consider a solid base to help distribute the load and keep it close to the wall. What are the base dimensions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Both aquariums sit on pressure treated 3/4" plywood 2 feet off floor, (base ave. 2' x 4'). Supported by double two bys in the framing. One has a side near exterior of home, the other is near the foyer to the master suite. Basically it is like a freestanding Aquarium with non-load bearing walls built around them. Imagine like hidden passages behind walls in old mansions.

I do double and triple trays in ceilings, as well as barrell in dining room with hardwoods,
so everthing is really tied to Ridge Beams and carried to outside walls in my designs. I make sure to have engineer company calculate all my loads and tell me size and type of lumber to use in construction. Therefore with his stamp and seal, it is his problem if something goes amuck.

I remember I was thirty days from completion on this house when a huge storm cam through our city. They wouldn't say it was a tornado. But my neighbors tree came down (4' girth) and fell on the house. hit the main ridge beam and we calculated a 4" deflection. Inspected the microlam and it had imploded in several places. Had to take the roof off and down to the top plates in 5 rooms. this included trays, barrel and vaults. And people wonder why custom is expensive.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The question was aimed at jb......Ed.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Goodbye pond, pawned, Ed, Mr.Ed tell spyder that I got ya, whoops, ya got kicked off of 'no censorship' too. Bye!

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is 4 ft by less than 2 ft and the floor is 2by 10

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
jb, I make that to be 130# sq. ft. which is pushing it to the max+. Most homes are built to 40 lbs./sq.ft. liveload which is a safety factor of 3 = 120#.
In all probability you can get away with it, I did for years but if the whole thing ends up downstairs don't say that I recommended it.
I had a 155 gal. main tank and a bunch of breeder and isolation tanks in my upstairs bedroom when I was a kid. Dad (an engineer), always said that the whole mess was going to wind up in the kitchen someday but it never did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts