Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a desk for my apartment, decided to make one because did fell like spending a lot of money and getting something that just doesn't fit right. I am using old solid core birch door blanks, i think the one i used for the top was a 3010. the only problem is that the inside is particle board. I knew this was going to be an issue so planned on trimming the whole thing with a dark hardwood. I thought it would look nice, the finish is going to be clear coat also. I went to the lumberyard today and picked up some mahogany brought it home. Needless to say girlfriend was less then please with my design element. She wants a more natural blonde color to match the birch. Here are some pictures of the design and the desk top, and the trim i planned on using let me know what you guys think, i Know i don't really have a choice but i would still like to know if i have a terrible eye for design. Furniture Table Desk Computer desk Line

Yellow Metal Architecture Wood Signage

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I am making a desk for my apartment, decided to make one because did fell like spending a lot of money and getting something that just doesn't fit right. I am using old solid core birch door blanks, i think the one i used for the top was a 3010. the only problem is that the inside is particle board. I knew this was going to be an issue so planned on trimming the whole thing with a dark hardwood. I thought it would look nice, the finish is going to be clear coat also. I went to the lumberyard today and picked up some mahogany brought it home. Needless to say girlfriend was less then please with my design element. She wants a more natural blonde color to match the birch. Here are some pictures of the design and the desk top, and the trim i planned on using let me know what you guys think, i Know i don't really have a choice but i would still like to know if i have a terrible eye for design. View attachment 104198

View attachment 104199
The design looks cramped and awkward. Whats clear is you use sketch up and that layout you have is not ideal for sitting at for hours on end. If space is limited then you prob aint got much choice. I spend a fair bit of time on the PC pricing jobs and doing renderings so being comfortable and productive is key.

If you have the space mirror the left side like the right side. that way your keyboard can be to the left and your mouse to the right. its much more natual when sitting in your seat

If i was you i would use a birch veneer on them exposed edges.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the size is pretty comfortable i took the measurements from a desk at ikea the we sat down at and were comfortable at. and the side on the right is just the right size for the multi function printer on the bottom right. And the left shelves are large enough for full size folders and notebooks.

Veneers are another option.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
If this desk is going against a wall you can abandon the L shaped vertical support post in the back, just make a 2x2 L cleat or use some angle aluminum to secure it to the wall.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Yeah, that is a birch door, but where are you using the mahogany solid stock?

Your model looks as if the whole thing will be done in edgebanded panel stock.

And second to the comment about back corner posting. You don't need no steenking posting if this is a built in in a corner.

The mahogany looks nice, though. Want to sell it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts