Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, I have a few jobs lined up that are calling for densi glass overall about 165sheets. God I hate this stuff. All of our past jobs only had 5-10sheets so we just glued and screwed. I can't see any reason why I can't shoot it? Any suggestions on what type of gun and nails? The plans spec 2 3/8" galv roofing nails I would thing you would want a lil more? Want to bang it out as fast possible. I quess it would be some type of siding gun? Which is fine because I can use it again. Also framing is fire rated lumber.
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi Guys, I have a few jobs lined up that are calling for densi glass overall about 165sheets. God I hate this stuff. All of our past jobs only had 5-10sheets so we just glued and screwed. I can't see any reason why I can't shoot it? Any suggestions on what type of gun and nails? The plans spec 2 3/8" galv roofing nails I would thing you would want a lil more? Want to bang it out as fast possible. I quess it would be some of siding gun? Which is fine because I can use it again. Also framing is fire rated lumber.
Thanks in advance...
I would use a roofing gun. The sheets would just fall off using siding nails. Use to shoot gyp on with a ridge runner back in the day.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would use a roofing gun. The sheets would just fall off using siding nails. Use to shoot gyp on with a ridge runner back in the day.
Thanks EX,
just check hd and they all seem to be 1 3/4" nail capacity. I need 2 3/8 that's why I was thinking of siding gun.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Make sure you check with GP about their warranted installation practices. I just did a quick scan of their site but it didn't turn up.

I don't think you can get a long enough collated roofing nail, and I don't think that siding nails would hold but that also sounds like a crazy spec(I thought they wanted like 1 3/4" roofers). Collated screws would certainly speed up your install time and I believe Quickdrive has an attachment just for gypsum sheathing.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Make sure you check with GP about their warranted installation practices. I just did a quick scan of their site but it didn't turn up.

I don't think you can get a long enough collated roofing nail, and I don't think that siding nails would hold but that also sounds like a crazy spec(I thought they wanted like 1 3/4" roofers). Collated screws would certainly speed up your install time and I believe Quickdrive has an attachment just for gypsum sheathing.
I just had a min in between 11 other things. And they spec for 5/8" sheets to use 1 3/4 galv 11g nail for wood framing. not sure but 11g 1 3/4 galv appears to be roofing nail. I was thinking a siding gun because I could use on a some what regular basis on out small roof access houses we make all the time. But there nails are narrower then roofing nail heads. I don't want to waste time screwing. I want bag that chit out. I gotta keep production flowing. The winter had us sittin around too much.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,981 Posts
I've got some specialty gun I had to buy to put hardi on a grocery store second story metal frame. I think its epdm or something... It shoots at 120 psi and has a large head on the nail. Fastener's are stupid expensive but I'd be willing to let it go. I think the original cost is some astronomical number. Obviously, I would sell it for less astronomical as I haven't been siding any metal buildings in over 3 years.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gun is called ET&F panel fast

Here's a link to it
http://www.etf-fastening.com/TOOLS/Model510.asp

Pretty sure this is the gun needed. Also check some local fastening companies because I know there are some gas guns that will work but aren't warrantied.
neat gun, but if I'm reading the details correctly a bit of an overkill considering I'm have stick framing to go into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts