Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
31,008 Posts
usually you can just pack the bottom and top of the wall with fiberglass batts and blow the 2 stories one story at a time - normal drill and fill.. I haven't seen the onion sack approach.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,008 Posts
I think I misread the question. Rereading, it looks like the question is specifically where the floor joists are. I haven't seen anything done specifically for that. In a usual drill and fill, it blows out over the ceiling a ways, but it's loose in that area.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hdavis, trying to minimize that. The openings to the joist cavity are significant. Hard to tell how much materials waste there would be, plus I don't like the idea of having the void that could potentially cause the insulation above to settle. From my limited experience with cellulose, it does seem to stay tight, but would rather not have to be concerned about failure.

The bag is a perfect idea. So simple. I can't believe that I didn't think about that. I have a bunch of sandbags that could work great to stuff in there.

·
Sean
5,531 Posts
My pleasure guys - with that Phil I am not sure sandbags will work but would love to hear your results. The two biggest items I see is it might not be big enough to fully lock in and act as a plug & the biggest item is being able to hold onto it. The onion/produce bags work so well because they allow the air to escape easily, and along those lines mold easily to the cavity space. Good luck & let us know how you do

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I still have some big ones. I used them when digging out inside basements. I have a small frame to hold them and shovel soil into for removal.

They are pretty porous, but my biggest concern is the are not pours enough and fiber will blow back in my face from back pressure.

I will update when done. Hoping to get things locked down for July.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts