Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading online about denim insulation. I hate insulating but it would seem that if you could take the itch out of it, it would certainly be more fun. I don't think it is readily available in Canada yet, but if it's as good as advertised, it will be soon. Have any of you used it? How does it perform in the real world?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I've never used it, but I'd love to try it. I wouldn't mid insulating if it wasn't so itchy and irritating.

Lowes stocked it here a couple years ago, but then it disappeared and I haven't seen it since.

Dave

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
dkillianjr said:
I've never used it, but I'd love to try it. I wouldn't mid insulating if it wasn't so itchy and irritating. Lowes stocked it here a couple years ago, but then it disappeared and I haven't seen it since. Dave
I used it whilst they stocked it and loved it. You could wrap it around you and no itch at all. Loved using it compared to fiberglass then suddenly no longer stocked. Well miss that stuff

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i have had it put in 2 homes and love it.the one thing to look out for is the weight of it.
it dose hold down on sound big time

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
The only downfall is when you have to deal with it on a remodel. It's very messy and is difficult to reinstall.

Any of you who have dealt with this material "later" know what I mean.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,047 Posts
There is a Green Building supply house here that carries it in batts.

I tried to use it on a couple of projects, but couldn't get the customer to spring for it. It's about 2 times the price of fiberglass.

Sure feels good, though.

The one they carry now is called "Ultratouch", made by Bonded Logic.

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know of a company that sells it in Canada. www.technature.ca

It's good stuff, if expensive.:whistling
Thanks for the info everyone. I might be reading this link wrong, but it looks like they only handle this in 1" and 2" thicknesses, not 3.5, 5.5" batts for thermal wall insulation. I sure wouldn't cry if fibreglass was a thing of the past

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
We (HFH) receive it in donation. It's all we use.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Try cellulose, it isn't itchy either, and close to the price of glass if my head is on right tonight . Rockwool is pretty cool stuff too.

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try cellulose, it isn't itchy either, and close to the price of glass if my head is on right tonight . Rockwool is pretty cool stuff too.
Rock wool performs like crazy, especially for sound and fire dampening but I usually lose my voice if I breathe too much of it. It also irritates my skin a bit too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts