Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a scarry question. I have been working on a couple of federal projects. recantly found out my licens was expiered for a few week durring construction on these jobs. i am now faces with a GC that wont pay me for the services performed durring the time my licence was renewing. is there no grace period in a situation like this. Advice anyone

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE, AND CONTINUE TO THE INTRO PAGE AND TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, THANKYOU AND WELCOME TO CT

I could see him wanting to hold back $ if your comp was expired and he was going to get assest in an audit. But if he had no issues with your work, unless in some way your license expiring is gong to cost him money, he should pay up, i dont know about a grace period where you are, but in my county you have 90 days, then you must fill out a new application, GMOD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was happy with the work. project finished ahead of time and the engineers mentioned to me in front of him how nice the work looks. All insurances and workers comp where and still are up to date. I feel if this GC has a leagle loop hole i will never see my money. do you think there is a loop hole?

·
Super Moderator
24,422 Posts
In 1986 I had the same problem. For whatever reason lic. renewal did not go through on time. Had about a 10 day lapse. CSLB has no grace period. GC I had framed a house for didn't want to pay. went to court, Judge said that since I was basically unlicensed for that period I had no recourse. Don't think the laws have changed to be in your favor. There is a gentleman on this site called "LicGuru" i think. Maybe he can give you more current info. Good luck!!

Might be money well spent to consult a Construction Law Attorney.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Find out from your licensing dept, no one here knows your specific office, i will tell you that in my area of NY the homeowner is not obligated to pay an unlicensed GC, now an expired license might have softer consequences, go to your licensing office, tell them the truth, GMOD, BTW, how far out is your lic expired?

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,943 Posts
Some judges ruling aside... the prime is obligated to fulfill the contract because you were licensed at the time you entered into the agreement with him to provide services. I "do not believe" that he can withhold payment because your license was not current during some portion of the project.

Side story... if your license goes under suspension for lack of a qualifier (just an example here) the cslb gives you 90 days to find a new one. During those 90 days you are allowed to complete any project you entered into before the 90 day period began.

Your situation is similar. He should pay you... in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank God for gurus. I feel much better after reading your post. thanks for your time and expereance. If there is anything i can do for you please ask.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Show me the statute in FAR or any Federal reg that even reference a license...:whistling

Doesn't exist, with the exception of elec. and interior plumbing, in certain circumstances.

You don't need a license to work on a pure Fed project, just the ability to bond.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts