Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am removing a wall between kitchen and living room, living room ceiling has a plaster cove crown that client would like to save. I will be installing new support beam which should finish lower than crown , I have ideas as how to save this , and have built in contingencies in case is gets damaged, my question is has anyone ever tried to do this and what steps you have taken as well as your success.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I saw a guy saved one on a house years ago by cutting it off with a sawzall. It was held in place with plaster and a few nails. It was replaced in 4 foot sections.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Make a template of the crown first, cut between the lath and studs with a sawzall. After you are all done see if it is still attached, I usually try to fill any small cracks with elmers glue. Blowing in the crack with compressed air, once it is staple then I patch cracks or run missing profile with plaster.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I am removing a wall between kitchen and living room, living room ceiling has a plaster cove crown that client would like to save. I will be installing new support beam which should finish lower than crown , I have ideas as how to save this , and have built in contingencies in case is gets damaged, my question is has anyone ever tried to do this and what steps you have taken as well as your success.
Make sure you make him sign something to release you from any liability if that plaster molding will get damaged.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After temporary walls were up and I cut out wall in question (below the crown) doing my math so existing drywall on livingroom side was flush with bottom of new beam.
I just used my Fein Multimaster tool and cut behind drywall and plaster crown to release it from top plates of old wall , and then delicately cutting out top from ceiling joists. (mind you the ceiling drywall was removed in kitchen side), I ended up with 2 small cracks on crown, easy fix and all worked out

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
After temporary walls were up and I cut out wall in question (below the crown) doing my math so existing drywall on livingroom side was flush with bottom of new beam.
I just used my Fein Multimaster tool and cut behind drywall and plaster crown to release it from top plates of old wall , and then delicately cutting out top from ceiling joists. (mind you the ceiling drywall was removed in kitchen side), I ended up with 2 small cracks on crown, easy fix and all worked out
Ok i get the thread now, Its one of those they hope goes viral. It's a add for "FIEN MUTIMASTER" :laughing:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We've always called it surgical demolition, :laughing: try it with a sawzall :blink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts