Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Is necessary to degrease the surface after blasting before painting ? ........or is enough just cleaning with air copressed ?

Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You should always remove any visible contaminates such as grease and oils before any blasting operations is performed.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
No doubt that is the best medicine but it depends on the customer and the job. If you are blasting on a bridge for $60,000 and then placing a $30,000 coating on it, it's a no brainer. The reality for small retail jobs like a car frame is you just can't get what you want even just to blast it half the time so you probably won't want to spend an hour with a pressure washer and money on cleaning agent and if you even have a place to do it especially if it's winter. For low price work you just blast it and move on. Fact is I have blasted hundreds of the greasiest rears, axels frames and the like and either I or the customer have painted them with epoxy or just Rustolium and I have never in all the years been told of a paint failure of any kind. This would be with mostly repeat customers so I would know if there were any issues. Always consider the best methods first but you have to earn a living too and you have to price your work right to do that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always advise my customers to degreace there parts before they bring them to. I let them know my service will be a little cheaper and will give them a better finish. Its on them, unless like example given about. I would bid it in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll just be sure to never bring you anything oily to blast Glenn. Lol. I'm picky and stick to the standards of the industry.
But some people want a cheap job. If it is explained what should be done and they chose to do otherwise then its there problem. Cant make a customer do what you know is right.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Until you get blamed for a problem that could have been ad voided. Customers always wants a cheap job, but that's no excuse to lower the quality of your work. When that customer gets a cheap job, they are really asking for a top quality job done cheap in their thinking.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Yeah I'm sure all the guys in here get out a wash bucket and a brush and sit there and scrub all the grease off every rear or the whole under side of a car and they do it for free because it's more important to do it right than to actually earn a living. Let's be honest here. I'm not a detail shop I'm a blaster. If you want a washing you came to the wrong place. As it happens it is not permitted to power wash grease in to the parking lot out side of my shop. I of course do not have a fork lift and a dedicated legal wash bay and almost no one in here does. It isn't realistic and I would like to see a show of hands from everyone who not only pulls there blast rig but also brings a pressure washer with them and takes three hours in prep. That would be no one. It isn't just Glen you know. I happen to provide a very good service with in the means my customers have to offer. The day I get to work on a nuclear power plant with a $170,000 budget, I guess I'll be able to ramp up my standards too. Just sayin.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Ha ha Glen. :) We all know now that all of us don't wash the projects. Sometimes ( most times) I'm out on Moblie jobs and dragging a water tank and psi wash is not fezzable. I tell they customer to clean off as much as they can before I get there, If they don't, I explain that I might be blasting an area of grease around a few times till it's gone. Most stuff I do is equipment, dump truck stuff, that's going back into service in a crapy environment and will back to be redone at some point any way. Salt and calcium will eat off the paint before failure due to grease. Lol On cars, I tell the customer that they need to degrease if they want a good paint job. And after I'm done blasting I tell them again to wash it and clean again. After that it's on them. My guarantee is that I guarantee that I'll get the paint and rust off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts