Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I've run across this before. A lot of building departments will consider "removing" certain existing structures part of the overall permit. Sometimes, there is no way around actual demo work that requires it's own permit.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
EricBrancard said:
I've run across this before. A lot of building departments will consider "removing" certain existing structures part of the overall permit. Sometimes, there is no way around actual demo work that requires it's own permit.
Yes, it is under the overall permit here too.
We start a lot of jobs before the plans are approved. Demo and interior framing only. With permission from local municipality.

That being said. Unsuspecting new homeowners get in trouble getting dumpster dropped to rip out carpets, window treatments etc. etc. Big red flag and they "may" get busted

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So, long story part of the project I have a thread going on for converting a commercial building into a residential. We applied for the permits last year, spoke to the AHJ and told no demo permit.

Due to numerous...issues...with the building plans, the project stopped and we are waiting on the building permit and the plans to be approved. While this is happening the city adopts new regulations for demolition as of January 1st. I have a differing opinion than the AHJ as to us having to follow them or not.

Since the removals (most of the roof and the second floor) were completed last year, it is really tough to comply with some of them. Since we are not demolishing the building, the first floor is staying, a lot of the rules also to not apply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Demo Permits in California

It depends on the project and if the building is for the most part a teardown.
I ran into that on a buildings in Live Oak, Calif., 12 miles north of Yuba City of hwy. 99. Late 1800's construction, floor joist / girders / posts bearing on redwood blocks.
It was a design build but prior to that it had to be opened up. I pulled a demo permit for phase I Demo prior to design drawings. Ended up pouring on grade footings and slabs, retaining the hand built trusses and 1x12 roof sheathing on two units and jacking them up adding GLB's / Paralams / gussets, demoed all interior walls / exterior walls, old trusses in two units and adding all new exterior walls, interior walls and demizing walls.

Without demo permits for two phases of demo it would have been not possible to prepare prior to Phase I demo. Phase II demo was done after permits were issued as Phase II demo with the reissuance as addenda on the Phase I permit. You would not believe what the old buildings looked like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts