Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old roof has two major problems. #1 the roofer nailed every shingle high or above the nail line by 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch. #2 the Celotex 25 Demensional shingles are not sealing. Out of 40 square at least 20 square are flapping in the wind.

Certainteed, who purchased Celotex a few years back and now backs the shingle, told me they would extend 2k to reseal the roof. The roofer says he can renail the whole roof when the weather gets warmer.

During the past few months many sections of my roof have blown off because of the aforementioned problems. The problem being it's hard to match a roof that isn't manufactured any more. The Celotex shingle was discontinued because it was defective I was told.

My hair is falling out just worrying about the roof on my house. Please tell what you think of resealing and renailing a defective roof? Thanks

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You can seal shingles manually with a special asphalt caulk. The caulk is essentially the same kind of sealer used on the back of the shingles, but in a tube.

Even if your shingle was still manufacturerd you'd never get a exact color match. It's impossible with granular changes and sun fading.

In my opinion if the roof was nailed too high that is the roofers fault and should be covered under some kind of workmanship warranty by the roofer. I am suprised certainteed is subsidizing the repairs if the shingles are truly nailed too high. If they had inspected it they would have said human error and gave you nothing.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any further assistance. Where are you located?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the shingles have been discontinued there is reason why. In the past three years I've done 5 defective roofs with Certainteed shingles. Each job the homeowner called and called and called Certainteed until they finally broke and gave a substantial amount of money to replace the whole roof. The last job was a hail job three years ago and the roofing company used a 20 year shingle which was discontinued a few years prior to installation. By three years the corner of the tabs were curling badly. The homeowner called at least 10 times to Certainteed until they finally paid for the new shingles (upgrade) and four grand for labor. Each call made to the company the amount whent up from $500 then $1,000 than materials, then $1,000 for labor and finally $4,000 extra. The homeowner still had to pay $2,000 out of there pocket but did get another 10 year warranty added on there old shingles.
My advice would be to get on the phone!!!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm suprised that they paid labor at all. Most manuf. warranties cover material only, the home owner eats the labor. That is the point of all these "sure start" and "smart choice" warranties the manufacturers sell. Curling corners sounds like ventilation (Over heating).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The roof had good ventilation as the hail damaged shingles were old with no curling I guess.
Every Certainteed defective roof I've done the've paid a portion of the labor costs. Most roofs have been between 3-7 years old.
There are tons of defective Certainteed Horizon shangles out there (old style three tab fiberglass composit asphalt). The company sais the cracks and pitting is not effecting the life, BS. My father has these shingles and there in very bad shape at 10 years old.

On all defective roofing jobs I've done my bid has come in a couple grand cheaper than the others which are the huge big overhead roofing companies in the cities. This could be why Certainteed is more willing to help out the homeowner with 3 year old shingles that are shot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
How is your roofer going to "re-nail" the shingles? Even if warm, many shingles would break when he bends them up. What about the ones that sealed OK? Hand tab the rest? May be cheaper to just tearoff and roof again.
Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Horizon Shangles

dougger222 said:
The roof had good ventilation as the hail damaged shingles were old with no curling I guess.
Every Certainteed defective roof I've done the've paid a portion of the labor costs. Most roofs have been between 3-7 years old.
There are tons of defective Certainteed Horizon shangles out there (old style three tab fiberglass composit asphalt). The company sais the cracks and pitting is not effecting the life, BS. My father has these shingles and there in very bad shape at 10 years old.

On all defective roofing jobs I've done my bid has come in a couple grand cheaper than the others which are the huge big overhead roofing companies in the cities. This could be why Certainteed is more willing to help out the homeowner with 3 year old shingles that are shot.
My house is 12 years old and I was shocked recently when I had work done on the flashings around my skylights and the worker informed me that my roof was in bad shape. Upon investigation I found that I have the Horizon Shangles you mention. I see that the company is stonewalling the bad product. Am I just stuck or do I have a recourse?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Just curious. Do you have inspections? Here we have a sheathing inspection, dry-in inspection, work in progress inspection and the final. Slows things down a mite but then we can get some serious wind storms (hurricanes).

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
OH boy I hate sheating inspections because the inspectors are always late, and you have 6 guys standing around waiting for an inspector. We choose NOT to work in cities that require multiple inspections because they expect you to tear open the whole roof and wait for them. THis is not something we do. We only tear open as much as we can roof that day. If the job is a 2 day job I don't want my guys on the back side wasting time.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, it's just the way that it is down here. We have State Codes, County Codes and City Codes. It all depends how far away from the coast you are.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ya know what they say... Adapt or get rolled over. Right now we are getting rolled over in various cities we refuse to work in. They are mainly small cities with lower income houses, very small. We are usually too expensive for these areas anyways, BUT these are the cities our competition is using to grow.

I guess when it becomes a problem we will be forced to adpat our system, because the progress inspections are becoming more common. Just recently a rather large suburb right next to us passed a code for progress inspections to prove you installed Ice and Water shield. Well either you wait for them or install your roof and peel up a side of the roof during the final to prove you installed the shield. This is what we had to do twice because nobody at the city hall told us of the new requirements even though we pulled permits for each job.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
That's a very good point. I'm not TomHay though. I don't have the resolve to fight a whole building department.

I think it;s something I would need pre-approval on from an inspector but it is an idea! I think what we will do is if the inspectors are late we will take a bunch of pictures at least, and when they say "show us" I will pull out the pics. Hmmm.. Something to contemplate.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Here in Minnesota most cities require permits with either a final inspection and or water and ice inspection. To my knowledge no cities including Minneapolis and St. Paul require a sheathing inspection. I did two roofs last year one north of the cities and one south that did not require a permit. I've paid between $25-225 for a permit so far.

Certainteed is trying to take no blame for it's old Horizon line of shingles. I've heard of rumers of class action law suits however. Every roof I've been on with these shingles have shown great cracking, which Certainteed claims is ok.
If your roof was new construction try contacting the builder to get a hold of the lumber yard. If it was a redo try to get a hold of the contractor to also get the lumber yard. Your salesman at the lumber yard can help you with getting a hold of Certainteed and get you free shingles. You will have to pay for ice and water, felt, and the ridge. It's worth a try. They will try to give you Landmark 30's which is a good shingle.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
They are not shingles really. They are shangles. Much thicker and manufactured differently. I've never seen a "shangle" that have surface cracks. I think it's normal for the shangle after about 10 years. Also I don't know if the surface cracks will lead to any sort of degredation to the material as a whole.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
certainteed horizon shingles

Grumpy: i had a roof put on about 10 years ago. at the five yr mark. i filed a complaint with the co. sent them a sample shingle and pix. they issued a five extension. there are more cracks. ie: every shingle is cracked and a lot of curling and i had some blow off recently..after a call last week they are going to treat this situation as an open account.unsettled. i have to repeat the same proceedure as originally did. we both know that any settlement will include their product. do they have a good one? even if i have to upgrade? unless the adjustment is substantial. i will probably use another mfg'rs product. whaT ARE YOU THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS. I have heard of others receivin g vouchers for all of the material to replace the roof. thanks, tom [email protected]

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unregistered said:
Grumpy: i had a roof put on about 10 years ago. at the five yr mark. i filed a complaint with the co. sent them a sample shingle and pix. they issued a five extension. there are more cracks. ie: every shingle is cracked and a lot of curling and i had some blow off recently..after a call last week they are going to treat this situation as an open account.unsettled. i have to repeat the same proceedure as originally did. we both know that any settlement will include their product. do they have a good one? even if i have to upgrade? unless the adjustment is substantial. i will probably use another mfg'rs product. whaT ARE YOU THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS. I have heard of others receivin g vouchers for all of the material to replace the roof. thanks, tom

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Certianteed makes a good product. I don't use it for various reasons but that has nothing to do with the quality of their shingles. I think their 30-year architectural shingles (landmark) were recently rated by consumer reports at the top of the list.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Certainteed Lawsuit Info

I've heard from several different sources now that Certainteed had a class action lawsuit against it for the defective Horizon shingles. I have had several of my homeowners who have this shingle on their roof request information on the specifics of this lawsuit. I have had no luck finding any real details. Could someone point out where I could get this information?

M.L.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts