Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been buying Redwing boots for 25 years.

Always been great for what I do, and I’m not easy on boots.

Latest pair I had to wait almost 6 months for, and it’s the first pair of Redwings I’m disappointed in.

Just got 4 new prehungs. All 4 of them they missed the primer on the edge.

Brown Wood Fixture Building Paint

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Quality control has been an ongoing issue for years covid has made everything worse I find myself returning/exchanging/fixing quite often.

I'm afraid to buy my next pair of boots.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I’m turning into a conspiracy theorist about boots. I’m starting to think they are doing it on purpose to make me go to college and work in an office.

Good boots are hard to find and as soon as I find a pair they cancel or change them.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,267 Posts
Easy to blame it on the pandemic "in the moment", but shoddy QC has been around for way longer than a couple of years. I'll never forget, for example, the $10K french doors I installed ~15 years ago that had just about every hinge screw driven in at a 20-30° angle. Or the humungous pre-hung $mahogany$ door that had pathetically inadequate screws securing the lift handles--they pulled out while handling and nearly made a road pie out of one of our guys.

The frequency may be up a bit, but it certainly isn't new.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Easy to blame it on the pandemic "in the moment", but shoddy QC has been around for way longer than a couple of years. I'll never forget, for example, the $10K french doors I installed ~15 years ago that had just about every hinge screw driven in at a 20-30° angle. Or the humungous pre-hung $mahogany$ door that had pathetically inadequate screws securing the lift handles--they pulled out while handling and nearly made a road pie out of one of our guys.

The frequency may be up a bit, but it certainly isn't new.
Was that French door done by reeb?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Latest pair I had to wait almost 6 months for, and it’s the first pair of Redwings I’m disappointed in.

View attachment 527461
I've seen that when the door shop uses a square slab instead of a beveled slab and they cut the bevel on for assembly.

Not giving them an excuse, but they probably don't have paint in the shop

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,277 Posts

View attachment 527461
Slabs are painted in the factory and trimmed down in the prehanging shop.

·
Registered
General Construction
198 Posts
Only boots ill ever buy is White's or Nicks, last time that i tried Danners the "steel" shank snapped in the 1st month but that was 10+ yrs ago 👀

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
We've noticed all sorts of issues lately.

We are having to rescreen our hardwood floors because the sealer is crap. The stuff my guys have used for 25 years is no longer available.

After 2 weeks the new stuff is still sticky, it leaves an uneven sheen and it pools up. My guys have done floors for 30 plus years all over the country. They are pretty frustrated these days.

Our paint has been a disaster. Pigments and binders not mixing. So our trim looks like it is a zebra. Semi gloss is now satin in sheen, sort of, can't get a real semigloss in SW Duration.

It goes on and on. Every day it feels like we are newbies and don't know what we are doing.

Even drywall sucks. Screws either pull through or don't pull the rock tight to the studs.

So having trouble with boots is just parr for the course right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Custom
15,152 Posts
Companies built quality return issues in the pricing structure at different levels and you would simply just take it back if you didn't like it... that's starting to change...

·
Registered
Remodel
34,784 Posts
There are a boatload of issues due to VOC regulations. Everything from paints to shoe glue got hosed, and it didn't start yesterday .

Supply chain issues effect everyone the same as contractors. You can't get what you need, so you switch manufacturers / suppliers, but your operation was dialed in for the original product .

·
Registered
532 Posts
The quality of the Timberland boots I used to always buy dropped a couple years ago, it seemed like the soles especially were more prone to separating. It was right around the same time the original barge cement I used for knife sheaths started getting phased out because of regulations on toluene or something, probably not a coincidence.

·
Registered
Remodel
34,784 Posts
The quality of the Timberland boots I used to always buy dropped a couple years ago, it seemed like the soles especially were more prone to separating. It was right around the same time the original barge cement I used for knife sheaths started getting phased out because of regulations on toluene or something, probably not a coincidence.
It isn't a coincidence. We still have some shoe shops up here, and people with a lot of experience gluing soles on boots told me the reformulated glues were inferior.

·
Commercial Contractor
Commercial Contracting
2,046 Posts
We've noticed all sorts of issues lately.

We are having to rescreen our hardwood floors because the sealer is crap. The stuff my guys have used for 25 years is no longer available.

After 2 weeks the new stuff is still sticky, it leaves an uneven sheen and it pools up. My guys have done floors for 30 plus years all over the country. They are pretty frustrated these days.

Our paint has been a disaster. Pigments and binders not mixing. So our trim looks like it is a zebra. Semi gloss is now satin in sheen, sort of, can't get a real semigloss in SW Duration.

It goes on and on. Every day it feels like we are newbies and don't know what we are doing.

Even drywall sucks. Screws either pull through or don't pull the rock tight to the studs.

So having trouble with boots is just parr for the course right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I just got 847 12’ 5/8 boards for one of my current projects. Only thing my supplier had in stock was National Gypsum (which I’m not a fan of).

Long story short, I had to stop work, send it back and use a different supplier because EVERY SINGLE SHEET is 1/4” off (143 3/4 x 48 or in some cases even 143 3/4 x 47 7/8). It’s been a nightmare.

Also had to talk to my Dietrich rep cause my structural studs were in no way 16 gauge, I could tell just by the way the weld burned in, and even my 20g felt extra flimsy.

It’s been a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
My last redwings fell apart in the closet. I think its the glues and sole materials are incompatible. They were an extra pair that sat for a couple years, put them on, the first day the soles fell off. Side note, they sent me a new pair free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts