Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently there is 2x6 boards on 24" spaced joists. I'm guessing 5/4 composite wouldn't work b/c of the span-can anyone confirm? if not, does anyone make a composite rated at 24" joist spacing?

·
Registered
238 Posts
currently there is 2x6 boards on 24" spaced joists. I'm guessing 5/4 composite wouldn't work b/c of the span-can anyone confirm? if not, does anyone make a composite rated at 24" joist spacing?

Yeah, I don't think that will work with 5/4. You could go with Correct Deck or Cross Timbers, that might work. Maybe the TimberTech T&G would work, seemed pretty stiff last time I used it.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Dont know for sure, check with the manufactureres websites, any composite that can be run at a 45 with 16" centers might handle the 24". Another thought would be to sell them on droping in new joists inbetween, that would make a nice solid deck. G

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Maybe "Correct Dock."
Check their website, or PM Marty.

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
Ecoboard makes a composite that can span up to 8' if you want, depending on the thickness (up to 8" thick!!!). You can also order it reinforced. I have samples and it is used alot for commercial docks.
www.ecoboard.org

·
Registered
1 Posts
GeoDeck boards rated 24" & 30" OC

GeoDeck has an S4S and T&G board that are ICC rated 24" on center. And their 2x8 commercial board is rated for 30" on center.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Correct Deck CX will span 24" O.C. and we have installed (per homeowners request) at 45 degree angle @ 16" O.C. and it was fine. So its about the same as 24" o.c.

Crosstimbers is rated to span 24" O.C. but it sags in heat on 16" O.C. so that would be a dumb choice.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I used Timbertech T&G about 12 years ago on a front porch deck. It was rated to span 2' centers if memory serves me.:thumbsup: I believe it is the Floorizon line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts