Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice. Yesterday one of my crews finished up an uninsulated porch. The flooring was AZEK gray decking. Throughout the project, we had covered the porch with cardboard with OSB over the top to protect it. Due to the extremely cold weather lately, we put a kerosene heater in the porch. Yesterday when my employees removed the OSB and cardboard, the decking had "lightened up" in the spot where the heater was. The area is probably 2' in diameter. It seems the decking got too hot even though the heater was on OSB.

The decking is in 16' lengths with no butt joints so I can't replace just a little of it. Each piece is about $60 so to replace them would cost about $300 + labor which I will do if there is no way to remedy this.

So....has anyone had any experience with this? I've tried a "heat gun" to bring back the original color with no success. Soap and water, paint thinner do not work either.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Your info says "professional contractor"...suck it up and replace the boards and chalk it up to a learning experience. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Are you sure the discoloration happened from heat, and not light, as in sun exposure was blocked by the heater?GMOD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get it over with!

Unfortunatly there is no quick fix to the discoloration. Dont waste anymore time pondering it because the customer is looking at it and getting more and more upset, inturn doubting your skills and may lead to a bad referal. Do a good job and the customer will tell 10 friends, do a bad job and they will tell 100. We are not perfect but fixing the problem asap saves face.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
See what Azek says.

AZEK® Deck has pioneered a new generation of decking -Stain Resistant decking. This innovation is in response to market demand as consumers move away from wood and composites and look for a better decking product. AZEK Deck limits the shortfalls associated with traditional wood and composite decking so that you can enjoy your deck without worry.

Refining and redefining what decking means, AZEK Deck has been engineered to withstand the everyday things that happen on a deck. Even spilled wine, fruit punch, and hamburger grease are no match for AZEK Deck's stain resistance. And, since AZEK Deck is scratch resistant, you won't have to worry about marks from patio furniture or pets.

With AZEK Deck, you can rest assured your deck will continue to look great for years to come.

- Stain resistant
- Scratch resistant
- Split resistant
- Mold and mildew resistant
- Durable and long lasting
- Impervious to moisture and insects
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Building Code listings ESR-1667 and CCRR-0101

Take the AZEK Deck Double Dare and you will see first hand why AZEK Deck beats all other decking options - wood or composites - hands down.

Toll Free
877-ASK-AZEK or 877-275-2935

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Yeah, pretty sure it was not from sun exposure as it was always covered and the spots are in certain areas.

Its just something to consider, uv rays do some strange things, i often notice with composite decking, we can leave a piece of wood sitting on the deck surface for 1/2 a day, and when you lift it, the discoloration is noticeable. The whole surface eventually evens out, but if this is not the case for you, Suck it up< change it out, GMOD

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Definitely call Azek. If nothing else, they may help with the cost of new boards as a gesture of goodwill. I think a reasonable person would assume that a heater placed on OSB would not discolour a product. I would also think that Azek has no such warnings pertaining to such. Maybe they do, I don't know. Composites scare the bejesus out of me for this reason. There are just so many unknowns with it.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Definitely call Azek. If nothing else, they may help with the cost of new boards as a gesture of goodwill. I think a reasonable person would assume that a heater placed on OSB would not discolour a product. I would also think that Azek has no such warnings pertaining to such. Maybe they do, I don't know. Composites scare the bejesus out of me for this reason. There are just so many unknowns with it.
That was my point too.
They sell it on how resistant
it is, they should be willing to
help out...evenif it's just to keep
your custome from bad mouthing them.
You might also tell your HO that
sun tan lotion is one of the few things
that will discolor it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A sincere thanks for your feedback. I appreciate the advice. Just got off the phone with the HO and they are completely understanding and sympathetic. I had ordered decking this morning before I posted as a "worst case" scenario. AZEK suggested that I use a heat gun to try to bring the color back.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
A sincere thanks for your feedback. I appreciate the advice. Just got off the phone with the HO and they are completely understanding and sympathetic. I had ordered decking this morning before I posted as a "worst case" scenario. AZEK suggested that I use a heat gun to try to bring the color back.
I would have thought they wouldn't want you dickering around with it, what kind of warranty does the product have?

They say they have a limited lifetime warranty, I guess they limit what they will replace.:rolleyes:

I will keep this in mind if I ever do a job with AZEK

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Wait a sec...I am not understanding using a heat gun at all. Is that really what azek recomends?? Is this like a com blow dryer or a propane torch or what?? If so there must be some detailed instructions on how to do that I can just see the adverage ho making some major damage in fact I problely would my own Self. J.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Are you sure you ain't just taken the moisture out from the boards with the heat. Remember these things contain moisture that darkens the color and over time they will all adjust to the climate they are in and either dry out and lighten or take in more moister and darken. They just may have to be left for a few days to adjust back to the climate they are in.

Like genecarp says decks can act strange depending on climate. I have left boards ontop of a new deck and over night it was cold and damp. When i got back in the morning the parts of deck that i had left the boards on were all a lot lighter than the deck areas that were not covered. The deck had taken in moisture over night and darkened them up. over a course of the day the direct sunlight dried them back out and they all looked the same.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Are you sure you ain't just taken the moisture out from the boards with the heat. Remember these things contain moisture that darkens the color and over time they will all adjust to the climate they are in and either dry out and lighten or take in more moister and darken. They just may have to be left for a few days to adjust back to the climate they are in.

Like genecarp says decks can act strange depending on climate. I have left boards ontop of a new deck and over night it was cold and damp. When i got back in the morning the parts of deck that i had left the boards on were all a lot lighter than the deck areas that were not covered. The deck had taken in moisture over night and darkened them up. over a course of the day the direct sunlight dried them back out and they all looked the same.
So the heater dried out the OSB. The dry OSB then sucked the moisture out of the Azek decking, leaving a light spot.

Possible answer....?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
So the heater dried out the OSB. The dry OSB then sucked the moisture out of the Azek decking, leaving a light spot.

Possible answer....?

Basicly yeah. Cant really word it any better than that. It sounds like it has just dried the deck out below the OSB and it needs a few days to ajust back to normal moisture content. I would leave it for a week or 2 and see if it goes back to normal color. Tell the customer that you will change it out if not.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Intersting Gentlemen. I also have seen S American react to boards laying around on it during the weekend same kinda thing same result a couple days in the sun everythings back to normal.

The idea of heat changing the color is intersting as well. It must have been that cause the area was right over the heater. Moisture hmmmmm man azek must be some strange stuff I can see the sun or lack of it making changes in color but not moisture. Picky stuff. J.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Moisture would make sense with wood.
Not so much with Azek.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts