Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just joined this group. I'm from Kent in England, about 35 miles south east of London ans I build quite a lot of decks.

Decking is in its infancy here in England, a fairly new thing.

A few things you might find interesting;

Domestic decks here don't need planning permission unless they are visible from a nearby road (planning permission deals with the appearance of an area) and are not subject to building control - I think thats 'code' in the USA - so there are no inspections of permits required in 90% of cases.

We have one set of building regulations covering the whole of England, rather than each area having different ones.

Power tools used in domestic areas are 230v and run from a 30 amp ring main - the plug is fused at a maximum of 13 amp, so we can happily run a 2,500 watt angle grinder or whatever from a normal socket.

Synthetic decking is as rare as hens teeth over here, 90% of decks are softwood.

I'm not allowed to post my web address yet, but there are pictures there of typical English decks.

Hope to learn a lot from you chaps!

Dave

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hi All

Just joined this group. I'm from Kent in England, about 35 miles south east of London ans I build quite a lot of decks.

Domestic decks here don't need planning permission unless they are visible from a nearby road (planning permission deals with the appearance of an area) and are not subject to building control - I think thats 'code' in the USA - so there are no inspections of permits required in 90% of cases.

We have one set of building regulations covering the whole of England, rather than each area having different ones.

Power tools used in domestic areas are 230v and run from a 30 amp ring main - the plug is fused at a maximum of 13 amp, so we can happily run a 2,500 watt angle grinder or whatever from a normal socket.

Synthetic decking is as rare as hens teeth over here, 90% of decks are softwood.

I'm not allowed to post my web address yet, but there are pictures there of typical English decks.

Dave
Welcome to the site. Now hurry up and get your post count up so we can see what you "chaps" are up too.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Welcome to the site, Medway. Lots of cool stuff here... lookin' forward to hearing more from you.

What softwoods are decks made out of...and what wood do you use for the structural framing?

Mac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the site, Medway. Lots of cool stuff here... lookin' forward to hearing more from you.

What softwoods are decks made out of...and what wood do you use for the structural framing?

Mac
Deck boards are mainly scandinavian redwood 145 x 28, or roughly 5 1/2" x 1 1/4". Frame is just C16 grade sawn softwood, not idea what species - I usually use 6" x 2".

Bear in mind these are mainly ground level decks. If the deck is to cover and old slab patio I have used 4" x 2".

Dave

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Hey guy, just wandered through your site (Click on Medway's name and visit his homepage..you'll see the deck link there)

ETA: Ahh...Breyer beat me to it!

Noticed a couple of typos on your decking_faq page:

Can Balustrades be fitted?
Balustrades finish off a deck as well as improving safety, They can be fitted durinf construction or afterwards.

Durinf should be during

Can Lights be installed?
Very easily. There is a wide choice of of voltage deck lighting available.

Second of should be low

Interesting profile your deck boards have...with the ribs and all. Less slippery but more of a pain to clean?

Mac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guy, just wandered through your site (Click on Medway's name and visit his homepage..you'll see the deck link there)

ETA: Ahh...Breyer beat me to it!

Noticed a couple of typos on your decking_faq page:

Interesting profile your deck boards have...with the ribs and all. Less slippery but more of a pain to clean?

Mac
Thanks for the heads up on the typo's, I'll get that sorted.

The deck boards I use are unusual in the UK, well certainly around here anyway. I get mine direct from a timber importer. The ones in the DIY sheds like B&Q (similar to Home Depot?) have square section grooves machined into the face of the board. They fill up with dirt really easily.

Are boards in the USA plain or do they have a profile?

Its a common fallacy over here that decks can be slippery, which is why I make a point about the profile of the boards I use.

Dave

·
Low Voltage Contractor
98 Posts
Hi All

Dave
A little off topic, but since you mentioned electricity...I've spent some time in Scotland and one thing I like over there that I've never seen here are circuit breakers with changeable fuse wires. So if they blow all one needs to do is swap out the appropriate sized wire instead of the whole breaker. Sure it's the same in England.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Welcome to the site. There are several fellows here from England, for example "Scottish Neil". He's been here a couple of years.

I have learned a LOT from this board. I've made several friends (and one enemy: why, I don't know), and I cannpt stay away. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Are boards in the USA plain or do they have a profile?
Wood planks (cedar, redwood and pine) are smooth faced, composite boards have a variety of imprinted, textured faces.

The only ribs I've seen are on one brand of cedar deck board - the ribs (as told to me) were to prevent cupping and promote underside drainage. I wasn't a fan of the look of the boards so I haven't actually used them.

Mac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little off topic, but since you mentioned electricity...I've spent some time in Scotland and one thing I like over there that I've never seen here are circuit breakers with changeable fuse wires. So if they blow all one needs to do is swap out the appropriate sized wire instead of the whole breaker. Sure it's the same in England.
They were common here, my house still has them. Bit of a pain trying to change the fuse wire by the light of a torch!

They aren't used anymore in new builds, don't think you can even buy them. Now its a 'consumer unit' with a row of MCB's that are simply re set like a switch.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

Dave
Sorry mate but are you the original Dangerous Dave? you certainly sound like it.

You come across as a genuinly nice bloke so I'll go easy.

If you get infants in Kent at least 10 years old, you must be drinking different water to us, or is it the beer?

On a more serious note I suggest you speak to your Electrician friend and get him to explain the horror and illegality of a contractor to be using 230 power in ANY working enviornment, never mind in the domestic locations shown in your photographs, where with your obvious lack of basic
health and safety knowledge, kids are probably running around.

230v KILLS and anyone using power tools should bring the power down to 110v. Legal Fact.

Also get your electrician friend to replace the antiquated' dangerous fuseboard you have in your own home, you owe it to your family.

You appear to have no knowledge of basic building science either. In your photographs you have clearly commited cardinal sins in construction.
You have breached the DPC in almost every case.
You have blocked at least one airbrick, you never wonder why they are installed?
You are to be commended for using man sized joists, but they don't look tanalised, and it dos'nt matter how heavy they are if they rot before the decking itself.
You have bolted joists to the building, are you sure these expasion bolts hav'nt damaged the DPC, why is there no air gap between the joists and the wall?
You don't appear to have made any allowance for expansion, anywhere.
One can clearly see where the decking has just been plonked straight onto the areas to be decked, with no surface preparation at all. You can clearly see where you have used packers straight onto grassed areas. Do you not understand, that in the UK we have widely differing weather patterns, which affect how natural and construction materials behave? In dry weather soil and timber shrinks, in wet it expands. How long do you think it'll be before these packers holding all these heavy joists start to move? What happens when the owners decide to lay a new lawn and all these packers go walkabout?

You have been honest in clearly stating you are a handyman Dave, caveat emptor. If you are going to charge people money to carry out works, then you are dutybound to carry out these works in a safe manner without causing structural defects in the process.

I would recommend that you speak to a Surveyor and see if he will maybe spend a couple of hours giving you the rundown on building issues which could be affected by your works. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Medway Handyman;520400 [B said:
Hope to learn a lot from you chaps![/b]

Dave
Sorry mate but are you the original Dangerous Dave? you certainly sound like it.

You come across as a genuinly nice bloke so I'll go easy.:laughing::laughing:

If you get infants in Kent at least 10 years old, you must be drinking different water to us, or is it the beer?

On a more serious note I suggest you speak to your Electrician friend and get him to explain the horror and illegality of a contractor to be using 230 power in ANY working enviornment, never mind in the domestic locations shown in your photographs, where with your obvious lack of basic
health and safety knowledge, kids are probably running around.

230v KILLS and anyone using power tools should bring the power down to 110v. Legal Fact.

Also get your electrician friend to replace the antiquated' dangerous fuseboard you have in your own home, you owe it to your family.

You appear to have no knowledge of basic building science either. In your photographs you have clearly commited cardinal sins in construction.
You have breached the DPC in almost every case.
You have blocked at least one airbrick, you never wonder why they are installed?
You are to be commended for using man sized joists, but they don't look tanalised, and it dos'nt matter how heavy they are if they rot before the decking itself.
You have bolted joists to the building, are you sure these expasion bolts hav'nt damaged the DPC, why is there no air gap between the joists and the wall?
You don't appear to have made any allowance for expansion, anywhere.
One can clearly see where the decking has just been plonked straight onto the areas to be decked, with no surface preparation at all. You can clearly see where you have used packers straight onto grassed areas. Do you not understand, that in the UK we have widely differing weather patterns, which affect how natural and construction materials behave? In dry weather soil and timber shrinks, in wet it expands. How long do you think it'll be before these packers holding all these heavy joists start to move? What happens when the owners decide to lay a new lawn and all these packers go walkabout?

You have been honest in clearly stating you are a handyman Dave, caveat emptor. If you are going to charge people money to carry out works, then you are dutybound to carry out these works in a safe manner without causing structural defects in the process.

I would recommend that you speak to a Surveyor and see if he will maybe spend a couple of hours giving you the rundown on building issues which could be affected by your works. Good Luck
Wow, first post and your kickin the chit out of "Dangerous Dave"? You at least sound like you know what your talking about, although some of your terminology got me. I think he said that he was here to learn though. When you say surveyor, do you mean an engineer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, first post and your kickin the chit out of "Dangerous Dave"? You at least sound like you know what your talking about, although some of your terminology got me. I think he said that he was here to learn though. When you say surveyor, do you mean an engineer?

This is a troll who follows me about on newsgroups. He goes by various alia's. I shan't bother replying.

He is largly ignored on other groups.

Dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pretty brutal for a first post Squared, if in fact that is your real name... :) Before going all nuts maybe you can explain a little about your experience to everyone here. Lets see if I can translate some of your lingo just for giggles.

DPC-- ummm, brick maybe
tanalised-- pressure treated to resist rot

Forget it, already lost interest in that. Just to clarify a couple points though. Are you saying he can't mount a ledger to the building?? Do the decks all have to be freestanding. How can you tell there isn't a gap there, he could have used a couple galv washers as standoffs, god knows I've done it. How do you know he didn't through bolt instead of using expansion anchors. Your making allot of assumptions without asking the man any question first.

If he is doing something wrong, or appears to be doing something wrong you could have said it a little nicer, and not in your first post(unless you created another account just to be a wanker). In closing I'd just like to say.... BOLLOCKS!!!

Barry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pretty brutal for a first post Squared, if in fact that is your real name... :) Before going all nuts maybe you can explain a little about your experience to everyone here. Lets see if I can translate some of your lingo just for giggles.

DPC-- ummm, brick maybe
tanalised-- pressure treated to resist rot

Forget it, already lost interest in that. Just to clarify a couple points though. Are you saying he can't mount a ledger to the building?? Do the decks all have to be freestanding. How can you tell there isn't a gap there, he could have used a couple galv washers as standoffs, god knows I've done it. How do you know he didn't through bolt instead of using expansion anchors. Your making allot of assumptions without asking the man any question first.

If he is doing something wrong, or appears to be doing something wrong you could have said it a little nicer, and not in your first post(unless you created another account just to be a wanker). In closing I'd just like to say.... BOLLOCKS!!!

Barry
Barry, please ignore him & he will eventually go away. This is typical of his posting on other groups. You're last paragraph sums things up perfectly.

My appologies to this group for attracting a troll.

Dave

1 - 20 of 40 Posts