Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
12,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about this today as I was looking at a stock pile of some exotics that I have after reading the car decking thread. Anyone ever build a second floor without a subfloor and use a finished nominal as the sub and finished floor? Think cruise deck. Just curious about doing this in a mother in law apartment.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,617 Posts
About the only problem is if you have any gaps open up, dirt comes down through. T&G or splined solves that. If you don't care about the dirt, then use square edge.

Yes, it works fine.

There are plenty of pine floors done this way in old houses around here.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres a caulk that's made for it for ship decks, thought either that or t&g. But I want to bung the whole thing.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,309 Posts
Deckhead said:
I was just thinking about this today as I was looking at a stock pile of some exotics that I have after reading the car decking thread. Anyone ever build a second floor without a subfloor and use a finished nominal as the sub and finished floor? Think cruise deck. Just curious about doing this in a mother in law apartment.
I've been on few cruises and can remember checking out the deck. It looked great. Had a black filler in the gaps. I guess this is the caulk you speak of. I always wondered how it was installed. It looked very time consuming.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
we did tongue and groove pine decking for the loft in a lake house we framed recently. exposed beams underneath. came out nice.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been on few cruises and can remember checking out the deck. It looked great. Had a black filler in the gaps. I guess this is the caulk you speak of. I always wondered how it was installed. It looked very time consuming.
Here's what we use around here. It looks awesome.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,617 Posts
Polysiloxane - I'm seeing more of that technology used for a lot of things. It says varnish and paint won't adhere to it.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Polysiloxane - I'm seeing more of that technology used for a lot of things. It says varnish and paint won't adhere to it.
It seems like nothing will. Its a massive pain in the ass to use but its awesome factor is a 10. Extremely expandable too. The other down side it is $40 a tube or something close to that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It seems like nothing will. Its a massive pain in the ass to use but its awesome factor is a 10. Extremely expandable too. The other down side it is $40 a tube or something close to that.
And its a pain in the balls to work with on painted panels, I would never want to do it on untreated wood. The wood would have to be prefinished on 3 sides, installed and caulked

1 - 13 of 13 Posts