Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Designer/Contractor
4,797 Posts
Depending on the type of PT used there might be down the road health issues, especially with children. This also goes for wantonly spraying toxic chemicals to keep the skeeters under control. We live in a chemical world and the more one can do to limit their exposure to them the better the chances of avoiding serious health issues.....................................

·
Designer/Contractor
4,797 Posts
Yeah, I guess I'm just some dumbass green mafia monkey 'cause I think we live in a chemical inundated world and it makes sense to think about that and take steps, when possible and practical, to limit that exposure.

I wear a dust mask when working with PT but as I'm in the office most of the time now it doesn't happen that often. I'm stoked that I got into design before engineered lumber and MDF became ubiquitous throughout the industry, and, stupid me, I wash my hands after working with treated lumber and before I eat............................

·
Registered
177 Posts
Only a few really effective methods to accomplish the bug proofing. Screen material installed directly under the decking, screen material stapled (yuk !) on the joists from the under side (if accessible), full frame screen panels installed on the joists from the underside (if accessible) or nothing.

Full frame screen panels installed from the underside is typically the most desirable option since any frame can be removed for repair, cleaning, or if access is required to the underside. For this, I would recommend any fiberglass material. Inexpensive and easy to repair. (Shy away from any channel type installation system - these will not allow access without replacing screen material).

While direct installation under the decking material is a widely used option the screen needs to be a high quality material since repairs are generally impossible in the future. Use a metal material - stainless, aluminum, bronze, copper, etc - whichever will not react with the woods being used AND any environmental exposures. If you use a fiberglass material avoid standard window material - in place use a porch grade type .013g or better - it will last longer.

If the issue includes no-see-ums, black gnats, or other tiny biters - tighten the screen weaves down to a minimum 20x20 or tighter.

Mike

21 - 24 of 24 Posts