Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a screened in porch to build on a job. going to have have panels in the winter as well. I'd like to put in regular square edged decking with 1/8"-1/4" spacing for drainage in rain storms but I'm worried about the bugs coming up through the spacing. Could lay bronze screen down on the deck but then dirt sits in the spacing, so I don't like that. Next option is t&g decking but that means alot of time consuming framing and decking to install drains in the deck throughout the perimeter of the porch. How do you guys feel about spaced decking and bugs? What do you usually do? thanks, Nick.

·
Deck & Porch Builder
61 Posts
Hi Nick,

You're right about potential for dirt to sit on the screen but thats exactly what we do. I have found no other good way to keep insects out.

It may be a compromise to an extent but the reality is that if you don't create debris during the build the amount created by the customer with normal use is minimal and it seems to have a way of disappearing over time. It's really never been a problem.
In the past we've made the mistake of cutting on the floor during the build without covering and had to use shop vac to cleam it out.

We lay it across the top of the floor joist before decking as it doesn't sag nearly as bad or as visible compared to attaching it underneath.

We alos do quite a few with tile or slate floors

I do tighten the spacing on porch floors as it's not like;y to swell like on an exposed deck

Bobby

Attachments

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I think going between decking and framing is the best way to ensure against skeeters, too many variations and things going on undernieth to get a good barrier (joist-ledger variation, joist hangers, joist-beam, finishing off around perimeter) if the section of floor in question is in a screened porch, it's not like there are going to be leaves/seeds in the cracks, nothing an occasional shop vac or leaf blower can't handle. the only way I can think of an underside install looking good would be to drape the screen over the beams before joists go on (what a pita that would be) and finishing off underside with some faux skip lath arangement$$$

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
We have done both ways and haven't had a problem with either one. However we do more T&G lately.
Make sure you don't gap to wide LOL Sorry couldn't help it.
Had to do something with the picture. Great porch BOB

Attachments

·
Deck & Porch Builder
61 Posts
Thanks Clemens,

How the heck did you do that? It looks like my customer shrunk and fell in the firepit or some little little people fell in a well?

I definitely need another Photo Shoppe lesson from you buddy

Actually this gave me an idea about an inlay (without a hole in it)

Bobby

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Total bad Clemens Mon.

Far as skettiers go and decking the screen helps but puting down with the decking over it is like a goat humping a mule. Secure placement under the joists might help but what a pain but of course it all depends on how much $ the Wallet willing to pay for skitter protection. Dammm the little bugs we can keep them out Mam!!!! JonMon

Morning I am not understanding how drains are differant with T&G decking than face fastining. Its the same thing.

Total funny bonemon!!!! Really for skitters its better just to spray the area with homecheeppo stuff every now and then but if the Wallet is willing to pay it can deffentley be done. J

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
Just shoot me an e-mail or call me and can explain. I don't want to wander of too much since it is a deck forum and not a photo forum.
Just scratch your head and grab a puzzle for the time being. This is an easy puzzle ( I did most of it) :laughing:

Attachments

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I say drains in a t&g deck I mean someplace for water to be squeegeed to so it doesn't sit on the deck. Major pain in the ass to do it that way. Sounds like the screening is the way to go as long as it gets vacuumed every once and awhile. So, you guys that use screen. What type of screen do you use? I'm thinking bronze or stainless.

·
Deck & Porch Builder
61 Posts
You are a tallented dude Clemens that goes beyond deck building.

Thanks for the watch. Very cool. You keep giving me all these ideas.

You should do a class at the Deck Expo, seriously

Back to the bug thing: We completely stretch out 4' wide rolls of fiberglass screen over the joist and deck over it .

It is a little tricky to walk on but starting with a walk board works fine.

This really does work well, is not expensive, doesn't take long, and definitely solves the problem.

We've been doing it for 20 years

·
Registered
35 Posts
add ceiling fans

Mosquitos breed in standing water; puddles, kids toys in the yard that hold water, bird baths, low spots or puddles in the yard, blocked rain gutters etc. You should first eliminate any standing water to help keep the overall populations down. Even if you do everything right to this end, you will still have some, especially if they are a problem in your area. Your neighbors can have ideal breeding grounds for them and that is beyond your control.

Screening underneath may block some but that will be a difficult job. Sawdust, grass clippings, dirt from peoples shoes, wind blown dirt, etc will all collect ON TOP OF your screening as people walk across the deck over time. This will become an eyesore and probably cause other problems.

Outdoor ceiling fans work great to deter mosquiots. Even on a low setting, they are easily blown away. Moiquitos like still, stagmant air.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,953 Posts
If it's an upper-level deck, build some removable frames and attach them to the underside of the joists. That way, Mrs. HO's ring can be retrieved without undue destruction. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For my own porch I used 3/4" PT ply,and had an good quality outdoor carpet hemmed to the interior floor dimensions.
Since I put wide overhangs on all three sides,the small amount of rain that blows in doesn't seem to mater.
The carpet is rolled up for the winter months,so the floor can be inspected for any possible damage.
So far(4years),there doesn't seem to be any migration of water through the carpet.

Attachments

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I would never try that in a bazillion years. You roll up the carpet in the winter??? The whole thing is total strange. So the plywood is total exposed during the winter.

If the water dosent get thru the carpet what does it do???just sit there. The screen keeps the water out..... this is just goofy.

Using pt plywood was a waste of time if no water is geting to it even if it did the slight amount of pt chem in that plywood barley has an effect at all on mold and decay and none far as water protection goes. Plywood is Plywood.

On the other hand I never argue with sucess. J.

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have to agree with the carpet thing. No f'ing way. Also, your deck is high up enough that you need a railing of some sort. I don't see any, and I don't think screen counts as a railing. Whatever floats your boat though.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I would never try that in a bazillion years. You roll up the carpet in the winter??? The whole thing is total strange. So the plywood is total exposed during the winter.

If the water dosent get thru the carpet what does it do???just sit there. The screen keeps the water out..... this is just goofy.

Using pt plywood was a waste of time if no water is geting to it even if it did the slight amount of pt chem in that plywood barley has an effect at all on mold and decay and none far as water protection goes. Plywood is Plywood.

On the other hand I never argue with sucess. J.

I knew there would be naysayers,and hesitated to post this, but thought I'd throw it out for discussion.

Like I said,this is on my own home,
Call it an ongoing R&D
I did the research and looked for the best quality outdoor covering.
The carpet is only rolled up for the winter to extend its life as recommended by the manufacturer.
Something to do with less UV deterioration and extending its quality.

I drilled holes at the bottom plate in case enough water entered to warrant drainage.

As far as the small amount of water that has hit it,evaporation seems to be doing a good job of protecting it from mold issues.Mold does not like sunlight,so this may not be a good choice for a porch with northern exposure.(Mold requires water, absence of UV sunlight, a spore, and a substrate to grow on.)
I've lifted the carpet after its gotten wind blown rain on it and there is no sigh of penetration so rolling it up once a year helps my peace of mind because of the visual inspection.

The exposed PT plywood on the lower posts are left unfinished for seeing how it will hold up to complete exposure to the elements.More R&D.
I haven't used this on any HO's,since I want to see the results first,but it looks good so far.

Morning Wood
As far as the railing requirement,the local Building Inspector likened it to putting railings up in every opened window that has a screen,and most of those would pop out with a lot less force than the way these are fastened.
The only reason for rails would be to protect the screening.
The is hurricane strength screening.
All codes are open to interpretation,and the local guy says it passes.:clap:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts