Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Low Voltage Contractor
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some ideas on decking layout and how best to deal with this 45 degree turn. The original deck had a 2-by border for the transition, which I thought was kind of odd because it was an upright 2x6 instead of layed flat. And then a herringbone pattern(photo). I was thinking something a bit crazier. Those 2x6s laying on top are 12 feet and 6 feet, to get an idea, and I'm using B grade redwood. I've gotten the ok to basically do anything I'd like as far as decking patterns, lighting, or custom handrails etc., and I do have all power tools needed. I know some creative minds belong to CT, and I would appreciate any input.

-Chilla

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I am sure someone will be along shortly to help. I just wanted to point out that the third rock on the right looks like a bulldog!

Figure out how you want you deck board to run. Whatever pleases you eye. Then add blocking/framing to compensate for transitions, (like the one you mentioned). That's my general advice. And try to keep "air" beneath any cut ends to allow them to dry out after it rains.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Looks like they came at the corner
from both sides and used the 2X2
as a "breaker" so that they didn't
have to match pattern.
Herring bone (or chevron) would
seem to be the natural choice to me.
Divide the angle and put in doubled
blocking down the center ( or a flat 2X)
then work both sides from long to short,
matching points as you go.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Make a "fan pattern" cut your deck boards down so they are wider at one end than the other and they will curve around the bend in your deck. I have done this before and it looks good ,but no pictures.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've done it both ways, as shown and the fan pattern.

In a case like yours, I prefer the divider board, provided it fairly accurately bisects the angle between the 2 runs.

The fan method is much more time consuming and really looks better when radius's are involved.

·
Low Voltage Contractor
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe try a herringbone pattern. Extending the next board to the last one you just put in. You would have to add some blocking to support the tails, but I think it would look sharp. See attached pdf.
I like that staggered look! A lot more blocking, but a neat, blended-in look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts