Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Decked out tv show

15K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  John Hyatt 
#1 ·
I watched a couple of shows this morning and the work is nice however, all of there drop beams are just sandwiched around the 6 x 6. I know it's filmed in Canada but I would assume this method isn't acceptable.

I think the girl on the show is one of mike Holmes.

#3 ·
I talked to the guys that produced the show including the host, Paul LaFrance. He owns a decking and design company in Canada it's called Cutting Edge Construction. They were going to tour the U.S.
They called me and asked if I was interested in being on the show, when b they are in my area.

They sent me all the papers and rules. What happens is, they get a deck and design it. I bid it for my price they film it with my crew and some of theirs as well. I get the free advertisement and publicity from tv. As well as my phone number will be put up on the screen just seen in my demographic. This was about two years ago, not sure it's going to happen now.

#11 ·
I had a girl Carpenter , Crystal , who grew up in construction starting with her Daddy letting her drive the work truck when she was 6 years old.

She was a great worker, smart, good attention to detail, really good with trim, outstanding putting down South American lumber.

After 5 years she finally had enough of the typical male comments, like some of these, and actions on the job. I fired two guys for conduct a 14 year old could not be forgiven for. Really too bad most construction guys have a dick for a brain.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

#12 ·
Never worked on a jobsite with a woman, other than cleaning ladies. I do know a lady trim carpenter who does good work a couple hours from here, but never had an opportunity to work with her. I would think most women who are working construction wouldnt expect the guys to become choir boys regarding language, at least to a degree.

If your talking about inappropriate comments about the woman herself or explicit comments, old boy is definitely hitting the bricks.

My favorite boss when I was in commercial construction was a woman.

#16 · (Edited)
I've been looking in my code book for some reference to this and all I have found so far has been a requirement that: 1) the exterior floor assembly be constructed to accommodate the regional specified snow load (or a minimum 1.9kpa).
2)The beam to post connection be flat or level (which I interpret to mean a beam on top of post)
3) That built up beams [for decks (in the regions I found pdf's for)] be a minimum 3 ply construction.

My local municipality offers no provisions in its building by-laws regarding beams for decks....only footing depths and diameters.
I found some info for the municipality of Saanich...which is a few hours away from me.
Saanich:
http://www.centralsaanich.ca/Assets...ing+Inspections/guide+-+residential+decks.pdf

Port Coquitlam:
http://www.portcoquitlam.ca/Assets/...tions+and+Forms/Guide+for+Building+a+Deck.pdf

I find the through bolt connection to be a bit hokey....fast, but hokey.
The cost savings on a post to beam connection versus a through bolt would be negligible, and I think the post on beam w/connectors should be standard.
Also....and I cannot be certain; but I believe we are not allowed to 'let in' 2x material on a 4x post either.

Andy, if you find anything regarding deck codes for Canada or British Columbia, could you send it my way?

#17 ·
My daughter worked with me about a dozen years back, better than 95% of any helpers I've had. No one slacked off when I had to go somewhere with her around, she was a good ramrod.

I know a couple of the production builders in austin have female supers & the do a pretty good job running their subdivisions.

#18 · (Edited)
It's very different if your on a tv show or in a position of authority .

When your a women working by the hour with guys its a total different story. She kept it close until the last few months . In fact it wasn't until the last year things got out of control. Example >> O you have a little hole in your levies leg, as he stuck his finger through it <<

That dude went down the road after lunch that day. I can not be there the full 8 hours but I can take action when I get back. She didn't press charges even with the wittiness including the Customer, just quit.

And yes, I do expect the language to clean up around a girl worker, around the Customers house as well.

J.

#23 ·
To be blunt, I follow stamped plans

Pickle and I just did something similar, it was a 3" round post, 1/4" wall steel. We had 2x on the outside of the post, 2-2x sandwiched between, so 4-ply, with 2 - 1/2"x8" carriage bolts through the outer 2x through the 3" steel post. then we bolted 16" o.c. staggered for the rest.

We didn't agree, but stamped architect drawing is above my pay grade

#32 ·
That's kind of scary. It's way too easy to build that kind of beam in such a way that it will fail quickly. What the hell kind of stair stringer connection are they advising in that pic?

Where the beam is almost or slightly above ground level, what connections are you guys using? Sitting the beam right on an adjustable (up/down) seat? Pouring your piers EXACTLY perfect and sitting the beams on your piers? I know there are options but what is the more efficient way for you when your post would be say.. 2 inches tall.
I'd mount my sonotubes at exactly the height I wanted and then overpour them a bit so I could knock them down after the initial settle. Vibrate them really well and you won't have much settling. Use the post bases with a standoff. You can shim a bit(on top of the base) with galvanized metal or more with a rip of PT(I would hit it with a coat of CopperGreen).

#31 ·
im on the east coast of canada and that post to beam method would not pass here. all beams must be bearing through bolting wont pass

and as others have stated.. kate can be on my crew anyday

Attachments

Reactions: asevereid
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.