Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty gazebo (20 years old or so) but very crowded under it, not much room to do anything there besides admire the backyard.

Demo day almost got reeeeaaaaaal interesting... As you can see, she has a very full backyard - not much room other than on the old deck. Chopped the posts intending to drop the gazebo on the deck to cut it apart. Damn thing tucked and rolled towards the house! Had to grab the the posts to stop the roll.

On these smaller staircases, I'll build the stringers in pairs. It helps keep them from getting squirrelly and makes the whole staircase more stable.

The angled section was not my best effort. Decided to just block the hell out of it to make it strong. I missed the angle somehow so my tread/riser cuts were climbing off the stringer.

Made sure my roof beams were all the same size to the structure would be perfectly square.

Been a while since I've cut a roof..was a bit rusty figuring my compound miters! Needed to be clean with my connections, no soffit going on this.

Made the apex block out of a 4x8 beam cut-off - cut it down to 3 1/2" square, then ripped chamfered edges so all 8 main rafters would have a solid connection to it.

Built-in benches wrap around the gazebo posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roof was fairly wobbly even with dropping the posts into the ground and stiffening them with the deck framing and bench structure. Too many screws to be visible so I sandwiched the knee braces. Pretty one only got 4 screws (which will be caulked and painted), hid the 10 screws between the pair.

Still need to wrap the bench posts tomorrow but she's about done.

Nipped the corner so they wouldn't catch their knees on the 90º point.

·
Thread Reading Aficionado
1,804 Posts
Last time I did a Gazebo was 18 years ago (commercial job). It must have ben 30' wide with an octagon exterior and a square plexiglass dome at the top. There were four flats on a 6/12 pitch and 4 pies on an 8/12 pitch. 1x4 T/G decking with purlins for a standing seam roof, couldn't show any missed fasteners from underneath. What a pain... All in all your project brought back memories! Looks good! Typing this reminded me we threw a guy in the pool, that was next to us, for his birthday. Good times :laughing:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I can see is the one post under the bench that is still raw. It is somehow visible in almost every picture.
Take just a second and a half and read the text above that pic. Since I post up progress pics throughout my builds, I don't always have everything complete. The bench post wrap was the last thing I needed to do. As I stated.
I throw the watermark on any pic that's mostly finished. Someone who's willing to steal images online to post as their own is probably the type of guy to leave one post unwrapped on their project!

I thought anything under a 4/12 required roll roofing or 1/2 lap
When I go to build something I'm not super familiar with, I read the installation instructions. I'm not a roofer so I double check what I'm doing so my build will be warrantied. 2/12 is the minimum for shingles (at least the brand I purchased) as long as the roof is covered with two layers of 15# tar paper. On this build, I ran out of ridge shingles based on the counter lady's recommendation for coverage. Installation calls for doubling the ridge shingles. I went back to buy more and no one there had heard of that. They all just use a single layer of ridge shingles. Great, fine, but installation instructions on the freakin' package call for doubling.

Metal not big out there? Use it on 1 and 2/12 a lot
Sure, we use metal. Just not on this project, HOs didn't want a metal roof on their gazebo.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
What Mark said.

A Man builds what the Wallet wants . The project would look better with more pitch and a metal roof but we don't get paid doing what We think. The way it rains in Portland the more protection the better but O WELL.

I am very hesitant to post up pictures after a major lumber supplier stole one and put it on a brochure / their web page. It's not worth the fight so I lived and learned.

J.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Nice job Mac. Still not much room under the gazebo, but at least you can sit down.

I've done a few gazebo's and the low pitch just doesn't seem right. But the clients are the boss in the end.
amen to that. we just have to make sure it lasting quality good looking finished product. i tell them all the time.. i'm just passing through you'll be living with it. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts