Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a low-profile (but not ground level) deck, what's the shortest I can go with a notched 6x6 post? With an overall grade to deck surface height of 22", using a typical post and beam construction eats up my post height quickly when I factor in pier rising 2" above grade, a 1" post standoff, doubled 2x10 beam, 2x8 joist and 5/4 decking.

As such, I'm left with a measly 2.75" of post surface to support the beam. Seems like so little wood between fresh cuts is a recipe for disaster. Barely makes 6" clearance between beam and soil, too.

I suppose I could go without the cantilevered beam and go with a flush header (where beams and joists are flush at the top. Never did one of those, but it would seem the post centers would really need to be precise (no fudge factor).

Another thought I had was doing a beam to pier design, where the beams are strapped to the concrete pier tops (no post), but using larger lumber for the beams to get the height. No easy way to adjust for level, though if the piers aren't perfect.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
For a low-profile (but not ground level) deck, what's the shortest I can go with a notched 6x6 post? With an overall grade to deck surface height of 22", using a typical post and beam construction eats up my post height quickly when I factor in pier rising 2" above grade, a 1" post standoff, doubled 2x10 beam, 2x8 joist and 5/4 decking.

As such, I'm left with a measly 2.75" of post surface to support the beam. Seems like so little wood between fresh cuts is a recipe for disaster. Barely makes 6" clearance between beam and soil, too.

I suppose I could go without the cantilevered beam and go with a flush header (where beams and joists are flush at the top. Never did one of those, but it would seem the post centers would really need to be precise (no fudge factor).

Another thought I had was doing a beam to pier design, where the beams are strapped to the concrete pier tops (no post), but using larger lumber for the beams to get the height. No easy way to adjust for level, though if the piers aren't perfect.

My lumber yard has brackets that can be adjusted for height 0-6" (think HDG threaded rod and an adjustable nut to give clearance). That being said I wouldn't worry about the short post, I would just soak the entire piece in a bucket of end treat solution for as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would make those mini posts from composite glued together for thickness. It would certainly hold up better than wood.
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would pour the piers 3.75" higher, and set the beam in saddles on the piers.
I had thought of that, but with no cantilever, I didn't want to end up with this (apologies to original poster -- see below). Can't cover that with cladding or lattice -- maybe a shrub. :rolleyes:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts