Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who lands there decks on patio stone or concrete pad

Or do you sink sono tubes in the ground and attach stairs to footing

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
On flat ground over here I plant Dolese solid concert 4x8x16'' blocks and frame on them. Building with direct bearing, post on pier and under joists.

J.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
In many places the precast deck blocks are not allowed.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Mid and lower end in Alaska is right on ground, pavers, or slab. Footings to depth are preferred so they don't move from frost heave.

·
GC/carpenter
43,576 Posts
We pour a 3-1/2" small slab. Sometimes we will dig a little shovel footing around the outside of the slab to keep water from washing out the grade from under the slab.

·
GC/carpenter
43,576 Posts
Here's an example you can see the concrete edge. We try to either keep it tight or pour it wide enough for a landing. This particular deck had pavers come right up to the steps but I I'm not big on putting steps on top of pavers so I suggested concrete under the step.

image-4021438939.jpg

image-3253868195.jpg

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,003 Posts
I'm surprised that some use those blocks, I was kidding about dekblocks or patio stones. City here makes us do them as Mike descriped. Lakeway makes us to a 4x4 landing at the bottom of all stairs so it gets extended under the stringers. Most decks here are on hills & those blocks would not work. Another reason they wouldn't work is most of my rails go outside the rim so the post needs to be attached with a post base on the footing/pad @ bottom of stairs.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Here's an example you can see the concrete edge. We try to either keep it tight or pour it wide enough for a landing. This particular deck had pavers come right up to the steps but I I'm not big on putting steps on top of pavers so I suggested concrete under the step.

View attachment 110331

View attachment 110332
yo Cali….that's beuty…almost City Deck like;) except for the the dam tree…hahaha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts