Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
In Ontario span is the same as for a house. Check your building code, or you could ask your local building dept. Not sure if this applies in all US states, but it's a safe guidline.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I only use 2x8 for landings and small decks... i would use 2x10 for anything over 8 foot. But i over build everything i guess. I think it depends alot on what you're building... servies conditions.. etc. You might want to add more infro to get better input

·
Registered
234 Posts
I saw a builder span 24 feet with twobysix floor joists on 2 ft centers. The center was sagging 6 inches when he got it decked.
The homeowner was planning on putting a large pool table on it..

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
I saw a builder span 24 feet with twobysix floor joists on 2 ft centers. The center was sagging 6 inches when he got it decked.
The homeowner was planning on putting a large pool table on it..
I know a guy with a barn the the leanto on the barn roof was 2x6 about 24ft and spaced 4ft. :laughing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanx for the input

hey thanks for the replys, I am building a deck on my own house and I needed head room underneath deck for my tools and supplies . I will probably use timbermate(ledgerlock) screws to lag 2x8 into house, come out 8 feet with 2x8, and tie into a triple 2x8 beam (using hangers ) come off otherside of beam with 2x8 again landing on my cantilever outermost beam giving me FINAL deck length I need 16 feet.So basically I will have 2 8 foot decks married together. It looks good on paper anyway, thanx again.first 8 foot section tied into triple 2x8,s will be under triple 2x8,s every 6 feet with 4x6

·
Registered
74 Posts
landing on my cantilever outermost beam

This is the one to watch: I can't visualize all your layout so I'll let you do the calc's. but you should check the spacing for your overhanging joists.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts