Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What deck screws are you using? I know I need to start buying them more in bulk, but there seems to be few places around here to get decent screws that are rated to use with pressure treated wood. Most municipalities don't require pressure treated in Utah but I'm doing a deck right now in a city that does and need screws. The supplier I was going to use told me he had the screws I would need but when I went to order them, he said he didn't have them and he called his distributor and they don't have them either. I can get some at my closest big box store but I would rather use something better suited at a better price. Where are you getting them and what screws are you using for a redwood deck over treated fir joists? Thanks.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Fasco fasteners,1 866 327 2633. Buying the box the ss screws are less than sheet rock screws at the box stores. Example # 7 2 1/2 '' square drive ss trim head 3000 for around $160.They pay the shiping over $75 and the price goes down for a 6 carton order. Used them for years no problems they get to Cow Town in two days. J.

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
Thanks to John years back I started using Fasco. It was one of the best things I did. Vincent (my sales guy) takes my order and two days later it is in front of my door. No shipping cost and the best prices. I saved so much money in all these years.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been pretty happy with www.screw-products.com

Their screws have all the nice little features (knurld head, type 17 point etc) and from my experience they've been pretty high quality. Out of a full box I might get a couple screws where the star drive is overfilled with coating. I can't remember getting any brittle or bent ones.

For the most part they come in any color you like as long as it's bronze.

I hear GRK makes the Cadillac of deck screws but haven't tried them yet.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
I like to use GRK fasteners, mostly on composite decks and exterior wood trim. A tough screw, but a couple extra torx bits, the screws tend to snap tips of sometimes. I haven't used the R4, but I don't do alot of wood decks

Cedar & Redwood Decking:
Use #9 or #10 gauge GRK R4™ to lock wood in place. Countersink screws by 1/8" and seal wood immediately with a quality sealer to lessen the likelihood of tanic acid stains. For best performance use PHEINOX™ stainless steel screws by GRK.

http://www.buygrkfasteners.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?&gclid=CKKgr9fjiJwCFRlcagodxlcJZA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts