Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deck Repair Pricing

I've just been asked to give a qoute on a deck repair. I would like to know what you guys think of the price I gave my customer. The deck itself is in very good condition and is 10' feet off the grade three of the posts supporting the structure are rotting at the bottom and must be replaced, The posts extend to the top of the deck rail and so some disassembly and re-assembly must be done. Along with the temp support of the deck while I replace the supporting posts. I will also have to possibly put in footings. I priced this at arround $2000.00.
What are your thoughts I still have wiggle room with this customer.
gepetto :confused:
PS this is a GREAT forum I've been looking for something like this for quite a while
Thanks

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Welcome to the board Gepetto!

Pricing is always a hard question to answer, and since I don't do deck repair I'll leave it for someone who knows better ;)

Let me know if you need any help using the board and when you get a chance swing by our introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself: http://www.contractortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gepetto,
I had the same situation with and old wood shadow fence, many rotted pieces.
In this case, I inventoried all of the supplies I would need, (new wood, screws, concrete, primer, paint). Estimated the time it took for completion, then added my hourly labor charge, which covers my pay, expenses, and profit.
In this case I had bid it at 30 hours of labor.
There were times when I 1st started, when I didn't have my labor set right, mis-calculated the estimated time, and ended up breaking even.

I dont know what your labor charges are. But if you estimated that at around a 3 day job, I think you'll be alright.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Might be a little high in price there gepetto. But if you sell it what the hell.

If the deck rails are screwed together you could be in and out of there pretty quick. Waiting for the footing to set up would be the only hold up, but there's a way to wip that too.
Dig below your frost line, put a block flat in your hole, cut your post to fit tight, pour your crete around it and go home and drink a beer.:Thumbs:

uh......I just got thirsty:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
gepetto ,as a contractor from the east coast, you should dig new footings and and use teco plates for your new 4" x 6" pt post ( teco plates anchor the post to the footing), you should be using in place of the 4"x 4" post, cut the old post flush with the bottom of the deck and us a simpson strong tie post connecter to secure the new post to the bottom of the existing post and it can be done for around $1500.00

·
Registered
118 Posts
Deck

Mike your right only .060 pressure treated can be groung contact, also remember the new treated wood "ACQ"

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Yeah, I'm using ACQ now. Since the current word is that this new stuff is so much more corrosive I had to upgrade all hangers to z-max grade, more than doubled the price of each one, and upgrade everything to stainless steel screws and make sure the nails are high quality hot dipped galvanized.

They don't even know if they are going to keep making ACQ so the whole thing is really quite a gray area with no official test results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts