Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys,
we are siding and replacing windows in a home. the home owner likes/trust's me so she wants me to take care of a deck and hire the contractors. the deck will be 8 feet off the ground and will be made of wood; 15 x 14 . 210 square feet. i am getting prices of 20 bucks a square foot for labor ( 4200 ) . materials estimated to be about 2500,a bit high but giving ourselves some room. so thats 6700 for the deck with labor and materials.
the homeowner wants us to cut a whole in the wall and install a 72 x 80 sliding glass door which is no problem. we have to move some electrical and baseboard but not a big deal. we are charging 1500 in labor for that and 800 for a good door. being a sider and window guy how does the
PRICE of the deck sound? they are nice people and i do not want to rip her off, we are in new jersey.

·
Low Voltage Contractor
98 Posts
guys,
we are siding and replacing windows in a home. the home owner likes/trust's me so she wants me to take care of a deck and hire the contractors. the deck will be 8 feet off the ground and will be made of wood; 15 x 14 . 210 square feet. i am getting prices of 20 bucks a square foot for labor ( 4200 ) . materials estimated to be about 2500,a bit high but giving ourselves some room. so thats 6700 for the deck with labor and materials.
the homeowner wants us to cut a whole in the wall and install a 72 x 80 sliding glass door which is no problem. we have to move some electrical and baseboard but not a big deal. we are charging 1500 in labor for that and 800 for a good door. being a sider and window guy how does the
PRICE of the deck sound? they are nice people and i do not want to rip her off, we are in new jersey.
If you're gonna be subbing it out then get a few quotes from reputable deck builders. Then you can compare each one and go with the most - cost efficient/best quality. She won't be getting ripped off if you use some common sense. Are you gonna include the deck on your original contract?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a new contract. i got a few prices,they were a bit higher by almost a grand but i know they are good. i have seen their work so in the grand scheme of things,being priced about a g-note higher is worth it because they are good. they really don't do alot of subbing,they were reccomened. i will add on about 500 bucks for myself obviously./ nothing big but i do need something out of it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
More info would be useful actually. When you said wood do you mean PT or Ipe(JK, for 2500 it has to be PT). Is the decking to be 5/4 or full 2x. How are the boards to be attached(HFS, nailed, face screwed?) Are there any stairs?

Barry

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Mac, you're sharper than I am. I THOUGHT the post sounded awfully familiar, but I didn't go looking for it. Your advice holds true on this one. If you're not sure about it, Da Vinci, don't do it.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why not go through with it? the guys i have only do decks but io was'nt sure if they were charging too high a price. i know you CAN'T put a price on quality but a line needs to be drawn. they came down a bit for me and i am giving it to them because i know they are good.
MAC, great detective work,i wish i had the time you have.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
MAC, great detective work,i wish i had the time you have.
Yup, I spend all day in here - screw that whole workin' thing....
either that or I spent 30 sec. looking up "Threads started by davinci"...

Dude, it was copied almost word for f*&kin' word from your first thread. That's easy enough to go...hmmm, I think I've seen that before.

Mac

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Why not just give the ho the contractors number directly and have them call the deck person Themselves??

You don't have to be the middleman you want to be the middle man to make money.

If not you recommend the guys to the HO and tell them they do go work and bow out the picture. What happens if they don't do a good job this time around?? Can you Fix it??

So the Deck contractor should reduce their cost for you to make money??

Or you can be a good salesman and get your five hundred on top of their orignal quote and everyone will hopefully be happy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts