Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question about my own home (I'm not a painter). I already had porch and floor paint on some outside decking (Behr) and it held up great for several years (no peeling or flaking and yes, I know that stain is typically recommended). So, since I was painting another section of my covered porch with a new color, I decided to add a couple of coats of this new color to the exterior deck as well. This time I used Valspar (I know, but they had the color the wife liked). I applied this on Sat/Sunday (a coat each day) and we have had super hot and humid weather since (coastal NC). We had a little rain last night and where the water puddled overnight, it blistered. I noticed that a few spots actually went back to normal after the area dried, but I'm a bit worried about it since it has been several days since I painted it. So, my questions are, is this normal in very high humidity situations (for the paint to still do this after several days of drying) and if so, how long before it cures well enough to stop? By the way, it was still slightly sticky on Tuesday.

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is a question about my own home (I'm not a painter). I already had porch and floor paint on some outside decking (Behr) and it held up great for several years (no peeling or flaking and yes, I know that stain is typically recommended). So, since I was painting another section of my covered porch with a new color, I decided to add a couple of coats of this new color to the exterior deck as well. This time I used Valspar (I know, but they had the color the wife liked). I applied this on Sat/Sunday (a coat each day) and we have had super hot and humid weather since (coastal NC). We had a little rain last night and where the water puddled overnight, it blistered. I noticed that a few spots actually went back to normal after the area dried, but I'm a bit worried about it since it has been several days since I painted it. So, my questions are, is this normal in very high humidity situations (for the paint to still do this after several days of drying) and if so, how long before it cures well enough to stop? By the way, it was still slightly sticky on Tuesday.

Thanks!
This is very common in humid, moist and rainy areas. Moisture gets trapped under the fresh coat and the bubbles are the result. My advice is to not even touch the bubbles and let the moisture pass through and they normally suck back in.

This just happened to me last week on a deck I stained using Sherwin Williams water based Semi Transparent stain. It rained on the deck about 15 hours after my application and it was bubble city, when the sun came out they all disappeared. So don't poke around on them.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
That's my primary beef with the Valspar that I've used. The cure time is long. You may have more success using Sherwin Resilience. It's designed to withstand moisture shortly after application.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, yesterday marked seven days since the second coat was applied and we had a couple hours of rain. Blisters and wrinkles everywhere. I blew off all the puddles after it stopped, but with the super high humidity overnight, nothing really dried. Hopefully when the sun comes up everything will tighten up.

Will this paint ever cure? Porch and floor paint is supposed to be tough, right? The Moorguard on the trim and railing is tough as nails and this porch stuff seems as soft as can be. Any suggestions? Leave it alone and give it more time? Thanks for you input.

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Did you powerwash before applying the paint initially? If so how long before you painted? My guess is that there is moisture in the wood and being that it's been hot, that moisture is trying to escape causing the blistering. Theres not a whole lot you can do about it at this time other than wait and see if any peeling starts.

I typically dont recommend any solid stains/paints for decking surfaces because ANY film forming product can peel, be it a stain or paint. A very good product to use is Sikkens Solid DEK, it comes in a water or alkyd (oil) base. The nice thing about this product is that it is microporous, it lets moisture pass through the film to resist peeling/blistering.

( to the OP, Moorgard is an awesome product, now we have Aura which is basically the same as the Moorgard but tints with 100% acrylic colorants for better coverage, and color retention, I highly reccomend this for darker exterior colors)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Did you powerwash before applying the paint initially? If so how long before you painted? My guess is that there is moisture in the wood and being that it's been hot, that moisture is trying to escape causing the blistering. Theres not a whole lot you can do about it at this time other than wait and see if any peeling starts.

Bingo... anything that blisters will not have proper adhesion, even if it looks like it settled back down... It will peal:thumbsup:

You must wash then let dry completely... If the prep is done correctly the application doesnt matter.

I use solid stains from SW... Ive painted decks the day it rains and have never had any problems - as long as your application is comeplete and its set up nice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Well its been almost three weeks now and I still have some blistering, though it seems better. I did pressure wash a few days prior to it being painted, but it was dry (or seemed dry). It seems like the parts that have gotten the most water when it rains are doing better than the parts that are getting just splashing--- almost like the rain is washing away the soapy stuff, etc. I had a different painter look at it and he seemed to think it was detergents trapped from putting two coats on so close together in such high humidity. He and Valspar say to just keep waiting and it should eventually harden. I'm not sure at this point. I can't imagine the task of getting it all up at this point, though a pressure washer would probably do the trick! Funny enough, the Behr below this stuff is hard as a rock! The question is whether to strip it and start over or just let nature take its course, touch up and then attack it with a pressure washer, primer and a better paint in a few years. Thanks again for your assistance.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The paint isn't going to bond, you will have those blisters intil you scrape them off. I would power wash and remove as much of the paint as you can. Then I would use a mop and wash it down with TSP then rinse with clean water. let it sit for three days, if it's gonna rain cover it with plastic, then I would use paint thinner and wipe the whole deck down with the thinner, then once it drys you'll see it drying, then take your paint or stain apply even coat, if you can rig it up so you could have a plastic trap to cover the deck area like a tent to keep any rain off it you should be ok. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did you ended up doing?

Hello JL1, I got the same exact issue. Had an older solid paint fading from the last owner. So i decided to refinish it. I've put down a couple coats days apart. Then 95 degree days hit with high humidity and it just rained last night and I walk out to a fields of bubbles. What did you ended up doing? Did it ever settle to a satisfactory point. Or should I just get it over with and redo it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
you really can't make a dime refinishing decks, I am astounded at all the products and services out there, but in my neighbourhood, springs begins with rain , a short burst of heat followed by weeks and weeks of possible rain and then more tropical humidity. A pressure treated deck is not meant to be stained. But you can strip it , lots of good weather for stripping the finish but don't bank on finishing. Someone could make a fortune I the disaster recovery business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts