Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job to construct a free-standing deck off the rear of this residence. The deck will be framed from P/T lumber and decked with some sort of synthetic decking material and stand roughly 30" (+/-) from finished grade. The deck would extend out from the house about 16' and possible 25' to 27' wide.

The deck will most probably be two levels: one level as you exit the house and then a slight step up to the main deck. I think the main deck would have to be higher to allow the framing to clear the Bilco doors. Also, the hot-tub in the picture will be recessed in the decking, so the HO would step down into the tub.

There is a set of Bilco doors that provide egress to the basement. The HO wants the doors to be covered by the decking but still have access through a hidden door of some sort built into the decking. Also, I believe the HO needs access to the outside through these same doors in the event of an emergency.

Has anyone ever built something similar or any suggestions?
Also, the hot-tub is going to be moved further away from the house and doors. And the concrete steps are going to be removed as well.

BILCO.jpg

·
Registered
13,551 Posts
You can cleat the headered opening and then have a lay over panel that lifts out. Could add casters to roll it over the deck or double doors on a hinge. Depends how often its accessed. The fact that you doing in treated lumber will help alot. The visible seams suck but that how it is.
Good thing your moving the hot tub because a double opening side by side would be a challenge structuraly.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found these pics of a completed project. Not 100% sure how that would work, but here's the pics.

I see Greg never came back and explained how he finished his project.

BILCO 1.jpg

BILCO 2.jpg

BILCO 3.jpg

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posting the job here was the start of the research. I've done a wee bit more research since. I see that this is particular situation is quite the conundrum. That only makes me want to do the job more!

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
There's no really good way to do it, IMO. I comes up here and there for me and I either design around it or move it.

The best thing do is move the entry way. Anything else is a contraption of questionable durability and usefulness. A hatch doesn't usually look or work too well. Sure, you engineer the heck out of it, but the cost to do it right usually outweighs the benefits.

PDB or JLC did have an article on it a while ago but I sort of remember reading it and thinking that it was overly complex, time consuming, and thus expensive.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I found these pics of a completed project. Not 100% sure how that would work, but here's the pics.

I see Greg never came back and explained how he finished his project.

View attachment 67980

View attachment 67981

View attachment 67982
This pictures came from THIS WEBSITE, scrawl down and you can see the whole process, or try contacting the owner of the page maybe he be nice enough to share some tips. Basically is like making a built in, you frame around and make the doors with decking over it, in your case you will have to build down stairs, because your elevation is higher.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,797 Posts
Fabricate a honkin' big set of drawer slides, and make that section of the deck movable.

Hey, that's about as practical as anything else. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Fabricate a honkin' big set of drawer slides, and make that section of the deck movable.

Hey, that's about as practical as anything else. :laughing:
I did that for a guy once. I had the section of the deck floor slide out. It worked ok and blended well with the deck. You are limited on the size of your deck because you don't want to have to slide out a 16' section of deck unless you eat your Wheaties for breakfast.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True. But to be honest, I love the idea. It's a whole different approach than I was thinking.

Possibly use a beam of some sort plowed out to make room for the framing member of sliding part of the deck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts