Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
17,185 Posts
So how big is that deck going to be and how high off the ground. It looks so small compared to the one's I used to build. JK:whistling
:laughing: Welcome back..

·
Registered
26,170 Posts
Hillside building in Cali has been tightly regulated for 35-40 years. New house builds were pretty much shut down in some mountain areas.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Does the council get to vote on every job in that city?

That was an easement maintained by the city but owned by the homes. The city abandoned the easement because they got tired of the managing the Orange trees. So the agreement to the community was we'll no longer consider it an easement but you must maintain the trees. Building in that area wasn't part of the agreement. This triggered a city council vote.

And no 99% of jobs on hillsides don't need the city council to vote. That was not the norm.

Mike.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
How accurate did you get your beams as far as level and square? Did you need to cheat anything?

We came out about 5/16" out of square, I'll split that number between two corners and make the adjustment to bring it back into square with my rim and joists.

Level and flat was spot on!

Mike.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Has anyone ever noticed I NEVER use temp braces? Haven't used them on a deck in years.

Mike.

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
Do you regularly use those stirrup post bases? They look like they can resist some sway until its all toe nailed above

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Do you regularly use those stirrup post bases? They look like they can resist some sway until its all toe nailed above

I always use those Simpson buckets. They are very common here.

Mike.

121 - 140 of 533 Posts