Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 533 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
40,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
So there has been a change in decking orientation. The decking will run at a 90 the long way. No longer 45's. Because the deck is 42' long, it will get a double picture frame border and one seamboard up the middle. We are removing the concrete in front of the pool area and lowering it and continuing the decking all the way to the brick and pool coping. As seen in the area they are demoing below.

Mike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the framing part. I want to see your techniques for keeping it flat.

I don't build a lot of decks, maybe 5 a year, but they never turn out quite as flat as I like no matter how careful I am with the lumber. Especially using composite decking, if you get down to eye level with the surface you can see every little dip and swell.

·
GC/carpenter
40,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Looking forward to seeing the framing part. I want to see your techniques for keeping it flat.

I don't build a lot of decks, maybe 5 a year, but they never turn out quite as flat as I like no matter how careful I am with the lumber. Especially using composite decking, if you get down to eye level with the surface you can see every little dip and swell.

We have a straight 12' aluminum square tube we use to straight edge all my decks. Ima stickler about flat.

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
23,766 Posts
We have a straight 12' aluminum square tube we use to straight edge all my decks. Ima stickler about flat.

Mike.

just phucking with you....

dam good way to get stuff flat...

but in your market you have no choice but to use tools like that...:thumbsup:

nothing like getting top dollar & providing ALL the quality that goes with it....

few are willing to do that....

·
GC/carpenter
40,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
is it machined???....:whistling

just phucking with you....

dam good way to get stuff flat...

but in your market you have no choice but to use tools like that...:thumbsup:

nothing like getting top dollar & providing ALL the quality that goes with it....

few are willing to do that....

Its extruded. Straight as John Wayne!

Agreed! Nothing like being able to give someone top quality because you can afford to.

Mike.

·
Registered
11,180 Posts
Our treated lumber is so twisty it's mandatory to use a portable planer for flarness. It definitely changes the quality of the job for the better.

I don't know what Mikes technique is for blocking but I have to use string in a couple of spots to keep the joists straight otherwise the cups and add a lot of dimension to your framing. The middle of the deck could end up being an inch wider.

·
GC/carpenter
40,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
All Doug Fir which I think is more stable. I don't know for sure because I've never used or worked with SYP.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
DF-PT is totallyly more stable. I have the privilege it luxury of all #1 Madison which in my professional opinion and experience is the best the straightest the most knot Free pt I've seen and worked with.
All Doug Fir which I think is more stable. I don't know for sure because I've never used or worked with SYP.

Mike.

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
Just SYP PT here. 2x and 4x is #1. 6x is #2. It can be nice, but it can also suck big time. I’ve crowned stuff up and then come back to deck it and the joist will have an actual deflection in it. Regular KD is SPF (spruce,pine,fir).

Not trying to derail mike. Looking forward to the rest of this build.

101 - 120 of 533 Posts