Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
41,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
From Fiberon. "To prevent extensive water absorption an unobstructed air flow is REQURIED below deck. For decks with limited ventilation add flow-through vents at various locations around the rim joist. " But if Ya don't want to Ya don't have to. Like you say you've been building out of regulation/ installation requirements for 13 years. JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com
I've got unobstructed air flow.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Dude... Can we come over and skate that pool before they fill it? :)

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Super Moderator
25,994 Posts
Nice. What kind of material

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Designer/Contractor
3,640 Posts
All of your stuff always looks so good, really like the low large one.

Do the decks have to be ventilated at 1 square foot per 150 square foot of deck space?

·
GC/carpenter
41,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
All of your stuff always looks so good, really like the low large one.

Do the decks have to be ventilated at 1 square foot per 150 square foot of deck space?

They used too. Not anymore. I've talked extensively about this subject with the higher ups from Trex. The executive vice president of Trex flat told me they've tested the Transcends in every condition there is and cross ventilation isn't necessary, like it once was with Accents.

·
GC/carpenter
41,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
In fact Rio. This deck was a Trex warranty replacement. Trex payed for the replacement. The old stuff flaked. I was able to pull some strings and get them Transcends as a replacement.

·
Designer/Contractor
3,640 Posts
They used too. Not anymore. I've talked extensively about this subject with the higher ups from Trex. The executive vice president of Trex flat told me they've tested the Transcends in every condition there is and cross ventilation isn't necessary, like it once was with Accents.
If I may ask, is this an exception just for Trex, or is there an exception in the building code for composite lumber and ventilation?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts