Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been getting a lot of decks on grade lately there nice because I don't have to deal with the city. Here's one I'm finishing up. Had to return some boards because they were damaged maybe have another hour left. This is a Fiberon Horizons IPE deck with Trex Deck lights.
image-242024413.jpg
image-359659967.jpg
image-1383795174.jpg
image-1740645360.jpg

·
Don
1,322 Posts
here is where i see the steel frame should be of good use as you can get more span out of it and less holes

where are your footings ?

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's drained concrete underneath. It only requires 5 1/2" which I have. Been doing it that way for 13 years never had an issue.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shanekw1 said:
Looks great! Is there anything special planned for the raised area? Hot tub?
That's going to be his grill area it has a gas line run to it. This guy drew up the design himself I added the "upper deck over lapping the lower deck" I thought it would give it a little character.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
That's going to be his grill area it has a gas line run to it. This guy drew up the design himself I added the "upper deck over lapping the lower deck" I thought it would give it a little character.
Definitely looks better with the overlap than if it had simply stepped up at the edge of the lower section. :thumbsup:

I will have to remember that one.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I've been getting a lot of decks on grade lately there nice because I don't have to deal with the city. Here's one I'm finishing up. Had to return some boards because they were damaged maybe have another hour left. This is a Fiberon Horizons IPE deck with Trex Deck lights.
Does Trex know you're cheating?

Deck looks good!

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
It's drained concrete underneath. It only requires 5 1/2" which I have. Been doing it that way for 13 years never had an issue.
From Fiberon. "To prevent extensive water absorption an unobstructed air flow is REQURIED below deck. For decks with limited ventilation add flow-through vents at various locations around the rim joist. "

But if Ya don't want to Ya don't have to. Like you say you've been building out of regulation/ installation requirements for 13 years.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

1 - 20 of 46 Posts