Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Windwash
595 Posts
What is below the paver patio at the edge you attach your framing to? Block wall and you attach framing with lag shields and epoxy?

Its such a nice and clean transition. Very nice.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The joists are sitting on a concrete stem wall. The horizontal rails are 42" high. The stair rails are 37" from the nose of the tread

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres the Kapex and Midi in action

ForumRunner_20140508_220041.jpg

It was 102 degrees on this day

ForumRunner_20140508_220125.jpg

Its good to be king!

I installed all 23 panels of glass solo today. Just finished and cleaned up. Worked 11 hours today so I could have a three day weekend. Getting inspection Monday.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I might add there are 23 cap lights and 16 riser lights that come on from dusk to Dawn. I'm not only a Glazer I guess I'm a low voltage guy as well. Lol

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wondered if they were 42". Is that the code out there for residential or does the horse farm qualify as commercial?
The Ranch is private. And all railing in Cali is 42". It's in the Cailifornia Residential Code book. I believe Cali went all 42" around 2004 or 5 I can't remember. I turned 50 on this job so I deserve a break on my memory. Lol

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I get to the job Monday waited 9 hours for an inspector that was a no show. He wouldn't answer his phone. So I go down to the city to find out what the phuck happened. He said he was busier then normal. I was pissed to say the least. I bit my tongue to an extent, but I did tell him a curtesy call would of been cool.

The city policy is someone has to be there or they won't go into a backyard by themselves. He made me wait 9 hours so he could save 90 seconds on a phone call! :mad: needless to say I got final today but I wasted a whole day. Kinda sucks because I'm booked until November 7th. So it's not like I'm not busy either.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
So I get to the job Monday waited 9 hours for an inspector that was a no show. He wouldn't answer his phone. So I go down to the city to find out what the phuck happened. He said he was busier then normal. I was pissed to say the least. I bit my tongue to an extent, but I did tell him a curtesy call would of been cool.

The city policy is someone has to be there or they won't go into a backyard by themselves. He made me wait 9 hours so he could save 90 seconds on a phone call! :mad: needless to say I got final today but I wasted a whole day. Kinda sucks because I'm booked until November 7th. So it's not like I'm not busy either.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
That's rude.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I had 2- footing dug 16x16x48. booked the inspector for a fir walk through 12-1pm dug 1st in the morning. got a coffee called called and waiting till 2pm. no word.. mia. I poured and went on with job. called him in for framing inspection. he fails because he didn't see the footings. I had pictures he called me liar said they can be from any job. whatta dik. I finished the the 2-tier deck spiral railings including steel post beam balcony spiral up to roof and 2-tier deck... etc. paid the $50 ticket got a letter from structural guy verified the job. he came back and passed job. ….. chit happens.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Very nice work as always. I have a question on the termination. It looks like you inserted a 1.5" piece before your last deck board. I have often woundered how to do this. Did you round the cut edge? do you have a close up picture?

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice work as always. I have a question on the termination. It looks like you inserted a 1.5" piece before your last deck board. I have often woundered how to do this. Did you round the cut edge? do you have a close up picture?
Thanks Marvin, I normally don't do it like that but I was married to the size. I try to make it where the small piece is under the railing. And no you can't route edges of capped composite. I make sure the cut edge is facing our so it's not slapping you in the face everytime you look at it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts