Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stages of starting my company. Realistically I'm a few years away...but planning is important, so today I began to think about which type of vehicle would suit a deck building business the best.

I like the idea of a van, because my tools would be secure, and out of sight. I also like the idea of having lots of storage inside (racks) for misc. items. I'd want a roof rack for ladders and the occasional load of lumber as well. A trainler hitch would be a must, but I'd really prefer not to tote a trailer around, as I'd spend a lot of time on the road (I live 35 minutes from the major city where most of my work will be located).

I guess I'm leaning towards a van, does anyone have an good reasons why I'd consider a truck with a cap?

Looking forward to your responses.

Kevin

·
Registered
378 Posts
For a deck bussiness your need for a vehicle is more for hauling lumber and building materials often in long lengths. A pickup with heavy duty over cab rack is best for this, a tool box or two will carry most of the tools you will need,skip the cap.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I would get a pick up truck and a nice long trailer for hauling those 20 footers.

That's the ideal situation I would think for decks.

Vans work nice for plumbers and painters but not for guys who need to haul cement bags, lumber and tools all over the place. Nothing is going to haul the lumber you need for decks other than a trailer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do mostly decks and use a pickup with an over the cab rack and a truck box. I do not have a trailer and get lumber delivered. I definitely recommend the rack as I often have to exchange boards, pick up more or return extra. As said above, hauling 16 or 20' boards especially Trex can be a pain. So can getting a lumber yard to deliver one more piece or pick up one. Vans are great for handyman or general contractors. Hope this helps. Good luck with your business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
we are in the minority here I guess. my father and I do a lot of remodels and additons and such, and we use a E350 extended cab van. it can carry 20' material on the roof, 14' 2bys inside, plywood, and more tools than you could ever fit in a pickup. we have carried cement, firewood, hay, used it as a camper, you name it. we have put an entire bunks of 2x4 fourteen footers and 3/4 plywood on the roof. at one point, we carried two 24 foot curved gluelam beams. It also has the diesel engine, so it will pull our 12 foot dumpbed trailer that will run up to 11000 pounds

1 - 6 of 6 Posts